Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m30 vs m50 swap? whats your preference and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll get laid more with a m30.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      there is no replacement for displacement.
      Sure there is.

Comment

raspy m30 ftw
        Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          there is no replacement for displacement.
          Its called boooooost! And it makes up nicely for lack of size. :D
          Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
          Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            This has got to me the most retarded reasoning I've ever heard.
            I had originally planned to do an M30 because I had just got done helping JJE30 and Eric get their M50 swaps done at my house so i wanted something different among the other advantages like simpler electronics and motor as well as more power and TQ. Now that i bought an M50 i feel like i had higher expectations than im living up to and im doing the exact same swap as everyone else. The difference in power and TQ isn't as much as i was hoping for. It isn't the best reasoning but he asked about our personal preference.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo325i View Post
              Its called boooooost! And it makes up nicely for lack of size. :D
              There's no replacement for displacement still applies with boost. You can't unfairly boost one engine and not the other and say it's better. Boost them both and the one with more displacement will produce more power MOST of the time. I vote for the m30, they just look burly under the hood
              85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

so what motor has more power? tq and hp for each? i don't daily the car its just for weekends and autox.

Comment

You should really try searching first.

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                    I had originally planned to do an M30 because I had just got done helping JJE30 and Eric get their M50 swaps done at my house so i wanted something different among the other advantages like simpler electronics and motor as well as more power and TQ. Now that i bought an M50 i feel like i had higher expectations than im living up to and im doing the exact same swap as everyone else. The difference in power and TQ isn't as much as i was hoping for. It isn't the best reasoning but he asked about our personal preference.

Regardless... Its all about power to weight...
                    Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
                    Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by richardkeith97 View Post
                      avoiding a deer
                      Moral of the story:
                      don't "avoid" deer (they're much softer than trees). either straight line braking, or WOT. Both methods have proven to be quite effective for me.

Moose on the other hand, will not run away from a noisy car.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
                        There's no replacement for displacement still applies with boost. You can't unfairly boost one engine and not the other and say it's better. Boost them both and the one with more displacement will produce more power MOST of the time. I vote for the m30, they just look burly under the hood
                        Not really. It's becoming common practice for auto manufacturers to put in a small engine + turbo combination instead of a bigger engine. Set up properly, you can't tell the turbo is there, and you get the cruising / city efficiency of a smaller engine, while having enough power to climb hills without dropping 3 gears and 30mph.

Heck, I have a friend that didn't realize her lease had a turbo until I opened the hood to show her. It certainly wasn't noticeable from the passenger seat.

This isn't a peak power competition. One can always find a bigger engine to run boost on.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Hi, everyone!
                          And first of all, as English isn't my native language, sorry that it's not perfect.

For some few weeks I'm trying to find info from some M30 turbo and M50 turbo users.
                          I'm looking for boosted engine. If I'm not correct in some following stuff please feel free to correct me.

I can get both M50 and M30 engine and gearbox sets for nearly the same price.
                          M30B35 from euro E34 or E32 with CR 9:1. I have found that properly intercooled + MegaSquirt this engine in stock can give me, lets say som 500cHp and 700cNm (this is approximately). Stock gearbox is tuff for this power and E34 ///M 3.6 is way to go. More I have found that if I put lower CR pistons from M106, I can go even for little bit more power.

Then I found that I can take earlier non Vanos euro M50B25 bottom, put B28 crank, M50B20 rods (do they are forged from factory?), put some MLS ,140 head gasket and M50B25 pistons. And this get me to M50B28 24V engine with CR ~8:1. IC, MS, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, ARP needed on both engines. So this setup holds same 500cHp. Ok it has less torque which probably is around 550cNm, but it revs more.

Ok so is this correct?

What is done with oil pump/pressure for those engines?

And M50B25 has oil squirters from factory. M30B35 oil squirters can be machined. I have sean them from M106 engine, but I think this is hard to find.

Engine is for my weekend car, but some readability is important.

So welcome M30 and M50 turbo users/builders. Can you give me little bit your experience on this theory. Correct me. Give some positive or negative feedback.

Hope you don't think this is spam.

Regards
                          318i Cabrio MY91

Comment

if you are in europe why not use M106 complete? its pretty easily avail for you
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                              if you are in europe why not use M106 complete? its pretty easily avail for you
                              This is pretty rare here too. And only one I had found conts x4. Quiet different storry are M30 and M50.

An as I have found M106 only differences from M30 is different pistons and oil squirters. M30 on the other hand have bigger valves as M106. Oil squirters can be made for M30.

What about M50?
                              318i Cabrio MY91

Comment

Working...
                              X