Lets talk batteries group size, cranking amps, and brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk batteries group size, cranking amps, and brands

Considering my e30 is stored for the winter until april/may, and my battery has finally went after 5.5 years. I have plenty of time to mull over what type, size and quality battery I will replace my old one with.

Current options:

AGM or standard battery
    Group 48 or Group 49
    Exide, East penn, or Johnson batteries

List above leaves out deka (east penn carried by carquest).

There is no autozone/advanced auto parts here in Canada.

Current options:
    Active green and ross (basically sears) - $124 group 49 diehard 649mf 6 year prorated 18 month replacement 875 CCA - $10 discount = $114
    carquest - East pen $160 group 49
    walmart -Have still to check
    Costco kirkland - does not carry size 48 or 49
    Part Source (autozone equivilant) - $113 exide group 48 $124 exide group 49 6 year prorated 2 year replacement
    From the dealer - $125 group 48 or $159 for group 49, I am told by the parts manager at the dealership that these batteries are made by and delivered by exide
    "The cross country battery" JCI-AGMLN5/48 (apparently made by Johnson)for $190 group 48 AGM battery
    Exide FP-AGML5/49 AGM battery also for $190

Opinions?
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

E30 is not an energy hog so don't spend big buck on the battery...something in $100 will suffice. In Canada, I would pay more attention to CCA.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      E30 is not an energy hog so don't spend big buck on the battery...something in $100 will suffice. In Canada, I would pay more attention to CCA.
      It is stored during the winter, so cold weather performance is a non-issue for me. I think to me the most important thing is fit, and longevity and quality.

I would just the dealer battery as its not a bad price, but I have read questionable stuff about exide. East penn seems to have the best reviews but the carquest battery is $160.

Currently I am considering the diehard battery:

or

They are cheaper here in canada ($114 vs $149 in the states) the trade off is the warranty, here the warranty is 18 month replacement 72 month prorated, while in the states its 36 month replacement 100 month prorated.

The thing I cant tell is where the vent tube goes on the diehard, looks like on the side?
      Last edited by noid; 02-04-2013, 11:04 PM.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

I have had the pleasure of getting a few batteries for my E30. Ive had it that long. One of the best batteries I bought was one from the dealer.
        They were on sale and cheaper than anything eles. But it was relaible and a decent battery.
        I now have an Odyssey battery. Not the little one people buy to go race but one specd for the car. PC1200 is the part number.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Was the dealer battery an exide? They used to be Douglas batteries some years ago. How does the odyssey fit?
          Last edited by noid; 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
            Was the dealer battery an exile? They used to be Douglas batteries some years ago. How does the odyssey fit?
            Im not sure what the dealer battery was it had BMW stickers all over never saw a name brand.
            As for the odyssey battery I made a mild custom mount. LOL Which makes it sound tough. I bought a basic h style clamp and the long j hook bolts. Drilled two holes in the plastic battery tray and done.
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche

Comment

Optima red top 1000ca and 800cca .that's right ! Y? Well y not? And they last for freaking ever it seems.with this being said they are rather exspensive .. But I got mine and a good discount ;)

Comment

Word has it that the quality of the optima batteries went down the shitter after Johnson bought them out.

Fit is important to me and optimas and odyssey batteries do not fit like a group 48 or group 49 battery does.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                  Im not sure what the dealer battery was it had BMW stickers all over never saw a name brand.
                  As for the odyssey battery I made a mild custom mount. LOL Which makes it sound tough. I bought a basic h style clamp and the long j hook bolts. Drilled two holes in the plastic battery tray and done.
                  North American "BMW" batteries are either exide or Douglas (I don't think douglas supplies BMW anymore). The batteries that come with new bmws from Germany are Varta batteries which are not available in North America.
                  Last edited by noid; 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I am looking for a battery for my other car right now.
                    I am looking at the Energizer or Duracell AGM batteries.
                    They make the proper size batteries and are getting decent reviews.
                    Plus they are not outlandishly priced.

Comment

I usually buy duralast, interstate, or bosch because they have vent holes to attach the tube.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                      My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

Where did that chart come from? Most NAPA batteries aren't Exide. Atleast not in my area.
                        sigpic

Comment

optima yellow top here.
                          1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
                          1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post
                            Where did that chart come from? Most NAPA batteries aren't Exide. Atleast not in my area.
                            List is somewhat dated, NAPA now supplies both Exide and Deka (east penn) based on location. My local Napa caries Deka at a premium of $245 bucks for a standard battery

Comment

Was this ever solved?
                              I'm tired of buying garbage WalMart batteries for way overprice. Mine died in less than 9 months, but it was in the process of dying long before it went caput (holding little to no charge; long crank starts in cold).

Looking to drop a bit extra for a battery that actually works

Comment

Working...
                              X