No announcement yet.

Lets talk batteries group size, cranking amps, and brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napa batteries are East Penn/Deka Prices are $132 for group 91 and $116 for group 90 at my local napa

Comment

Just an note Sears (and Diehard) get there batteries from East Penn(deka).
      dlm ny country

Comment

I see lots of batteries out there, being that we replace them often in the shop.
        I keep a rack of 9 interstates in stock. I have tried others (centennial and ACDelco).
        I have yet to warranty an Interstate.
        Batteries should last 4 years under normal use, 6-7 years if your lucky.
        I would shop around and see who carries an Interstate for you. the MTP is a bit better and a few bucks more than the MT, but probably worth it.
        Just my 2 cents of course... I do see a lot of BMW factory batteries (exide/douglas) that have lasted my customers from 6-10 years... They are top quality if they have a Roundel on them, and expect to pay the price for it as well.
        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
        '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
        '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
        iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
        sigpic

Comment

Interstate MTP91 is excellent but their prices have gone up so that forced me to look for alternatives. The best deals I have found are Cosco Kirkland Grp 48 (700CCA/875CA) 3 year free replacement with no questions asked return policy. $77! Pepboys Bosch Grp 91 (700CCA/850CA) with 3 year free replacement for $100 after 20% discount online or $80 after $30 instant rebate on black friday.

Grp 48, 91, T6 are interchangeable and all are vented, incase you can't find grp 48 (Autozone has discontinued grp 48 and replaced it with T6)
          Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-29-2013, 09:28 PM.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I ended up just taking my (n)Everstart battery back to walmart and they replaced it for me free of charge after a 2 hour wait seeing if it is indeed a dead cell. I have another 3 year warranty on this new one, but all this information is good to have for the next time it will go dead.

Maybe it'll go dead in another year and I get another FREE battery? :)

Comment

Did you get an everstart made by exide or JC?

I ended up getting the everstart maxx h-8 group 49 made by JC and it has been a good battery.
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I just think the most important thing is where you buy it from. Costco phased out the Kirkland grp 48 but they do have T6 Interstate branded batteries for $109. Autozone wants to test your battery to make sure it's bad before they replace it and that's a hassle you don't need. I had a Duralast battery pass their test 3x but wouldn't hold a charge overnight. I went to another Autozone and insisted they replace it and they did. The Walmart everstart's look pretty good too. I got an H8 group 49 Everstart maxx for my mom's C320 with better CCA/CA ratings than the original Mercedes battery. Unfortunately, the car was totaled a month later. I don't know if they test batteries before replacing them but if they don't, that would be a good place to buy batteries.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Here is a testimony/ miracle,I just replaced the interstate battery in my 87 325 3 months ago ,I bought this car in 2000,the year sticker on the top of the battery was punched in 98 year of battery purchase,I never bought a battery for this car .

Comment

When I got my E30 from my best friend, he had a spare battery from a VW diesel, big sucker. It's been in my car for 4 years, and it's never left me stranded. I tested it last spring with a load tester, and it was still testing strong. And the battery is about 6 years old...

Volkswagen battery 000 915 105 DH, 80Ah 380A DIN 640A SAE. Equivalent to BCI Group 94R and they aren't that expensive, based on Canadian prices I've seen online, should be able to get one under 120 USD.
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

OEM BMW batteries back when the E30 was new were made by Varta.

Varta got sold to JC in 2006. Looks like BMW now uses an unnamed battery maker who makes the batteries in Italy.

Its interesting how BMW dealerships in NA get a different supply (Exide) of batteries then Europe. I wonder if it would be possible to order one of these new Italy made batteries to be delivered from Germany.

Edit: looks like these made in Italy batteries are also Exide.
                      Last edited by noid; 12-22-2016, 09:27 PM.
                      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

According to this:

Many Mercedes also use H6 (group 48) and H8 (group 49) batteries.

Mercedes part number 000-982-31-08 should fit the E30:

From research it looks like the batteries are made in Spain by Varta.

Reasonably priced too for an OEM Mercedes part.

Comment

I've seen newer bmw/mercedes batteries that were Exide. I work at a battery store and we carry exclusively Deka stuff. There is even super AGM stuff superior to Optima yellow top, made by Deka in the US. Also Odyssey is made in MO

group 48 and 49 are common in newer bmw/merc. VW uses group 47.

our cars take group 90 or 91 depending on whether hardtop or conv. Similar but more CCA than 48/49.

When it comes down to it, batteries are simple. The more power, the better.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

bat choices

I agree that where you buy one is important. Go with the pros on this. I use my local shop that carries Interstate. They tell me that batteries have a shelf life and that their Interstate supplier religiously rotates the stock so that only fresh batteries are being sold. And if there is ever a problem they will quickly replace it for free without any discussion. They simply let their supplier know he had a dud on the rack . They also install it for you and dispose of the spent battery. Considering you need to only do this only once every four or five years why risk trying anything else?
                            The $25 or so extra cost is worth it in a number of ways.

Comment

i have a BMW dealer one, made by exide purchased in late 2013
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
                                I agree that where you buy one is important. Go with the pros on this. I use my local shop that carries Interstate. They tell me that batteries have a shelf life and that their Interstate supplier religiously rotates the stock so that only fresh batteries are being sold. And if there is ever a problem they will quickly replace it for free without any discussion. They simply let their supplier know he had a dud on the rack . They also install it for you and dispose of the spent battery. Considering you need to only do this only once every four or five years why risk trying anything else?
                                The $25 or so extra cost is worth it in a number of ways.
                                My work does this as well with our US-made Deka batteries. Every year I can send back batteries with a certain date code and they'll send me a new version. Of course I try to only keep batteries in stock that sell well so I don't waste everyones time.

We average 10-15 dollars cheaper than sears/die hard etc (the same exact battery) for regular flooded batts, but AGMs are more expensive.. I mean I could get them for cheaper but the warranty wouldn't be as good etc etc

We have a contract with our vendor that we have to return a core battery for each one we sell. This helps maintain low costs to the customer. As such I charge each customer a core fee if they don't have an old one to exchange. So as far as "free recycling" etc... lead is worth money. They'll charge you if you don't recycle ;)

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                                X