MTech II Front Bumper for '87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTech II Front Bumper for '87

Hi. I just want to make sure that I understand the fitment of the mtech 2 front bumper. I have a 09/87 325is coupe with da diving boards (but post-facelift) and I want to buy an mtech 2 kit. SO to install it, I just remove the upper part of the bumper, right? That includes the chrome crap and the black plastic trim around it. Do I need to remove the lower portion of the bumper as well? I believe it's called the lower valence? I've seen a few tutorials of people completely removing the valence and install the mtech 2, but then I've seen other tutorials where people leave the lower valence on. Is there a right way to do it?
    I realize this inquiry is probably outdated but hey, its 2018 and I don't feel like paying photobucket to see pixilated tutorials from the '00s.
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Read some of the replies in this thread, may help you.
    1989 325ix
    1992 325ic 770A
    2002 M3

Comment

OK I think my problem is that I bought one of those P.O.S ebay replicas, not an oem $3,000+ piece. My body shop guy's like, "Dafuq u want me to do with dis?"
      Any suggestions? Pls dont be too harsh...
      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

I'm not sure all the mounting options, but I'm pretty sure you need the fiberglass support the would go behind a late model plastic bumper. It seems like I saw a build somewhere where they basically mounted the crappy ebay rep to the fiberglass support, then mounted the support part like normal. So you are going to need to read up on normal plastic bumper conversions, get that going but instead of the plastic bumper cover, have the body shop mount the rep.

You also need the newer metal valance if you plan on running foglights behind the lower part. So basically full plastic bumper conversion.
        Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Ok this terminology is too damn confusing, I've really tried to read this stuff and I just don't get it.
          So this where I am at. I removed the ugly chrome stuff with the trim.
          And this is the ebay shit I bought.
          I don't want to get rid of the lower valance bc it has the integrated ducts sooo I guess I can't go mtech2. So what is the piece I need to fill in the upper section (where the chrome was)?
          Is it this? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...111976134~brp/
          Thanks guys. Sorry if I'm being a pain in the butt.
          Attached Files

Comment

You really need to do some research.
            The front swap is pretty easy, but you need a few more parts than just the plastic bumper cover you linked. The bad news is 1987 is the early rear arches, which means there is a ton of work involved in converting the rear to plastic bumpers.

Here is one write up on this very site:

You could also go with the Euro Metal Bumpers

Here's a basic thread on all bumpers:

And a Euro Bumper conversion thread:

Finally you can tuck in your current diving board metal bumpers:
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Aww man I thought 87 was considered facelift bc of the updated taillights... I guess they just kept the bumpers for another year. Dam U.S Safety regulation.
              So should I bother with https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...111976134~brp/ or not?
              Welp let the half-ass fabrication begin...

Comment

Taillights wasn't updated till 88.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Your car is a model year 88 post-facelift with metal bumpers. You need either MT 2 bumpers, shocks and the kit or mod your aftermarket MT2 stuff to work with your existing bumper shocks. Since it's post facelift, refer to it as an 88...not 87. It makes all the difference in a thread like this because we are thinking you have an 87 325iS, which you do not.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

My bad reelizmpro. Like I said the production year is 09/87 but yes it is an '88 iS so it is in fact a facelift model (updated taillights but still has metal bumpers). And I meant to type '88 when initially referring to the taillights.
                    But since we are talking about '87s, is there a difference between '87 metal bumpers and '88 metal bumpers? Just curious.

Comment

The 88 has shorter shocks but the bumpers are the same. The 88 even has the early style turn signals as well that need to be converted to the 89-up style if you are going M tech 2.

To answer your original question...since you have a post face lift, the OEM M tech 2 bumper cover and air dam are two separate pieces. The bumper cover goes over a bumper carrier (like plastic bumper 89-on) and the air dam goes over the existing valance. You do not remove the valance. The aftermarket part is one piece bumper/air dam and are typically designed for pre facelift cars. I don't know how well they fit on post facelift. Since your 88 has no bumper carrier, you will need to come up with a way to mount them.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

How it is so far:

Hopefully finishing soon...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                          How it is so far:

Hopefully finishing soon...
                          quick question. how did you end up mounting the bumper? did you have the plastic carrier, or did you make something yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Thirty Bastard View Post

quick question. how did you end up mounting the bumper? did you have the plastic carrier, or did you make something yourself?
                            My bodyshop guy just screwed in a thick piece of aluminum that stretches lengthwise from one frame rail to the other. So the bumper itself just slides into place. A bit ghetto but it works.
                            Fitment is decent, but don't expect perfection with eBay replica parts.
                            Also, you should know that the lower valence had to be cut off completely. Maybe this is standard, but thats just what had to be done in my case. Added some mounts behind the bumper to hold the fog lights.

Comment

Oh no...if you had gotten OEM M tech 2 parts, the spoiler would have just fit over the existing valance and you wouldn't have to cut anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X