Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the sound of being of a tooth on the timing belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the sound of being of a tooth on the timing belt?

So I redid my timing belt last weekend and I wonder if I might be off by a tooth in the timing. Here is a video of what I am hearing:

https://youtu.be/9yPjou1XxXk

I did have a devil of a time getting the timing marks to line up, in the end what I did was rotate the engine 720 and line up the mark on the crank, then I looked at the cam and where it should have been. I then marked the location on the belt where that should line up with a Sharpie and then rotated it through 720 degrees again and rechecked. I was off by a tooth twice after that but I thought it was right the third time.

So, before I take it all apart again and drain that precious blue juice out of the radiator. Is that even how this is supposed to sound? Or do I have another problem. I also feel like I am getting much worse mileage as well now, if that is something else that could be a result of this.

Thanks!

I don’t think so. Having just installed my timing belt off by one cog, the sound I got from my engine was a throatier, rumbling quality, more diesel-like. I re-did the job properly and it sounds normal again. I never had any clang or metallic ringing noise.

To me, your noise sounds like something is loose. Recheck the timing belt covers, could also be a pulley. Maybe the flattened steel pipe that bolts to the timing belt cover isn’t bolted on tight?
    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
    1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
    Palm Beach County

Comment

It does have a ringing quality. It sounds like it is coming from cylinder #1, but you know I don't want to stick my head close enough to really tell :-)

I'll check the bolts on the pulleys and covers.

Comment

Yeah, if your timing was off, I wouldn't expect it to idle that nicely. Probably something loose.

Comment

I still haven't found anything loose, but I did not start removing things yet. I did go top off the gas and I am only getting 14 MPG now. Traditionally this car is in the low 20's gas wise. I still don't know if that is related or if it is just a coincidence...
          Last edited by Ukko; 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

the rattly noise is definitively not timing belt related. That is idling beautifully. You check all the valve clearances?

Rattly bracket or something.

my old 4age back when i was....er...still developing my skills, i had the timing off by 2 teeth for like a whole year. Sounded throaty and like a cammed engine, it idled perfect and it ran "fine", i thought i was the coolest kid burying my foot and causing a BRRRRRR noise. I cant recall how i found it but i "fixed" the timing and the engine lost all its cool sounds....and went twice as fast.

Comment

If you don’t own one already, consider getting a mechanic’s stethoscope. They are incredibly useful for finding the sources of odd noises. Here’s one on Amazon:

I’m not surprised that your mileage is worse now, running with bad timing is known to worsen fuel economy.

Here is a great article on how to get the timing belt adjusted more easily. I found it extremely useful in redoing mine:

Hope his helps.
              Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
              1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
              Palm Beach County

Comment

Working...
              X