Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless brake hose failure - Magnum

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd post my experience with Magnum SS brake hoses. I've had one rear calliper hose develop a substantial leak where the hose joins the threaded fitting, and another develop a small weap in the same place. Some of the clear rubber coating has failed as well. I've had them for a little over a year I think...and not done many Kms, as the car is only driven when I feel so inclined on the weekend. I'm very dissapointed that this has happened, given the age of the hoses. I'd find it hard to recommend anyone buy these hoses.

Cheers,

Drew.

i've heard of ss lines failing. i think it has something to do with the type of crimping or fitting. some people claim that all ss lines are more failure prone. i check mine every 6 months or so just to be safe.

Comment

oh i remember someone saying that if dirts gets in between the fitting and the ss braids, it will slowly deteriorate it.

Comment

Abrasive dust getting between the webbing and the teflon hose will indeed destroy the teflon lining. Pulling on the hoses (like leaving a caliper hanging) ca also harm the integrity of the line where it is crimped.

But it is not the case for most good quality line. Who is Magnum? Where and how is it made? Is it at least DOT compliant? Many questions to make sure that not all manufacturers get the bad rap from one lousy supplier...
        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

i had a set of lines blow on me also. they were goodrich lines, and they lasted about 1.5 years, before they all began to leak, the rear left one actually exploded...
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I have been using stainless braided lines for about 15 years and never had problems. Knock on wood.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

ss lines

These stories always spook me.......but there are so many variables involved.

Its clear to me visual inspection is vital...but damage from abrasion can happen internally as well.

I run the Precison product( 3 yrs now)...from TMS; I think BW sells them as well.

That Goodridge story is a bit scary, but I think Ive heard of other similiar issues w/ them as well. Never hear of Magnum......except for my condoms..hehehe
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

it failed on me. the break line ruptured going around a corner going 45mph around turn 2 at pacific race way. its not a good feeling when you foot sinks to the floor when your going to fast for the turn. :(

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

my non-DOT SS lines are almost 5 years old now - I don't plan on leaving them forever though. that's over 55k on them.

who made the ones that were failing on you guys? Mine are from IE, although generally the quality of their products isn't so great.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

mine are magnum. i will never buy them again. that was one scary drift going around that corner and having a gt4 right behind me.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

crap

I just bought a set of these. They look well made...anyone have GOOD experience with them? Or do I need to buy new ones and sell these?
                      Originally posted by alpinaclone
                      Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

i personaly would. its kinda embaressing when your car is towed off from the track. but thats me. i wouldnt want to risk it because you could be on the freeway or somthing similar and all of a sudden have no brakes. i would get rid of them as quick as possible!

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ethirdy View Post
                          I just bought a set of these. They look well made...anyone have GOOD experience with them? Or do I need to buy new ones and sell these?
                          Would you have any close-up shot of the lines.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Had a set of stainless lines with rubber sleeve, and the started leaking after 8 months. I now have a set with out rubber sleeve and so far they are lasting for a year and a half. The sleeved set was also from eBay, serves me right, HAHA.

Comment

Working...
                            X