No announcement yet.

The MR E30 Project Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It starts fine after longer periods of time?? I would work on grounding the wires and definately replace the fuel pumps. e30 fuel pumps are weak. I had a bad idling problem, it went away after I replaced the fuel pumps and fuel filter.
    edit: replacing the pumps is not hard at all, its like a 30 minute job.
    However, I did take my e30 to my mechanic to do the filter as I didnt have a way of reaching it.
    Last edited by Be30mer; 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

I replaced my filter, and I investigated for a better fuel pump.

I will be going with a Walbro
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        I replaced my filter, and I investigated for a better fuel pump.

I will be going with a Walbro
        Great. Walbro is fantastic, thats what I got, 10k miles later no problems at all. You could also look into the fuel level sending unit, im not sure what your supposed to do with that after a swap.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
        You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

May 20th 2010

I started cleaning the car for Bimmerfest. First was the carpet, and a good vacuuming was in order. Got that taken care of. I then started cleaning the interior bits with armor all and q tips.

But then the sun went down and I was out of luck to continue, so tomorrow is going to be busy, as I do my best to makes the outside look as clean as I can.

On a reverse note, I spent last weekend in Phoenix, taking a small break. The S52 did all 1000 miles without a single hiccup. I also completely swapped the engine to OBDI, by installing the two OBDI sensors for the coolant temp, and the car feels like it runs and starts better.

I ditched the throttle body heater, and I rethreaded the single pin brown top M20 sensor to M12 x 1.5 and it fit right into the S52. Couldnt be happier.

I also spent a good deal of time helping my best friend with his M50, and the long arduous process of getting it ready for the E30. Got a lot done, and he is coming out to San Diego to pick up an E36 transmission and driveshaft. Gonna need to take another break soon to help him finish that up and get the 24v E30 on the road.

I am really excited for Bimmerfest, and I will be cruising up there with my buddy Saturday morning.

I have also been putting a lot of thought into how the car looks, and I am deeply considering painting it. Not too sure on the color though. I think I am gonna break free of stock E30 colors. Maybe a dark dark red, or gunmetal, or a deep ocean blue.

I am not too sure yet, I do know that I dont want to stick with black.

Oh, and the wheels are going to change color soon too. Not gonna ruin the surprise on that one, but the green has done its time, and now I will be moving on.

Bimmerfest 2010 here we come!!

Comment

I vote for a dark metallic red or blue

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              I had bought the car with a Volvo lip
              LOL What do you mean? What Volvo?!? :D

The thread is mighty interesting! Subscribed!
              I like the car,I hate the wheel colour though...
              N.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally Posted by aaron_silva
              It is always frustrating having a harsh ride when
              you arent in the right mind set.

Comment

May 25th, 2010

Well, a quick update.

The wheels are going to change color, but the paint wont be worked on for a while if this deal comes through.

There is something extremely powerful that might come into my hands for a very good deal. I am excited.

Ah, I did purchase those SS rep headers from ebay last week. They came in, and I am going to install them and have an exhaust shop weld it together. Then the entire exhaust will be aftermarket, and that makes me feel awesome. I can only hope that they fit well, without beating the piss out of the things.

I will do my best to clue you all in on my surprise, but I dont want to promise anything, and then not come through. So until then, stay frosty!!

Comment

Ah, how could I forget!!

Bimmerfest was incredible. And even though my dirty E30 was sitting next to my buddies super clean supercharged 98 M3 I still got a lot more love than him, and lots of people came up to ask questions and get my advice on their future swaps. It felt really good to impart some knowledge on fellow E30 owners.

I even wore my badass MR E30 t-shirt, courtesy of my lovely young lady.

The only bad thing is, on my way back from Phoenix, a random speed bump in front of a border patrol checkpoint (which is new to me, and I have been through them at least 80 times) ripped my beautiful iS lip with splitter right off of the car. I looked helplessly in my side mirror as it exploded into at least 5 pieces.

So, needless to say, after driving it for two days without a lip, I had to reinstall the Volvo lip, and now the hate has returned.

On the market for my 11th iS lip. And I say the 11th as a good thing. I truly love everything about my E30.

Comment

Your 11th!!
                    I still need to get my first lol
                    Nice car man

Comment

May 27th, 2010

Progress is slow as I help out my best friend with his E36 M3, and try to sell another deaded E36 M3 and arrange to purchase back my second E30 from my other friend out in Phoenix.

Going one day without getting my hands dirty would be far too much to ask for. Haha Looking forward to installing my headers though.

Comment

Your E30 looks awesome! I just went through the whole thread and I love what you've done.

S52 FTW! Next time that G35 won't know what hit him! haha
                        -Nick
                        Originally posted by 87e30
                        First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by BeemerBuyer View Post
                          Your E30 looks awesome! I just went through the whole thread and I love what you've done.

S52 FTW! Next time that G35 won't know what hit him! haha
                          Thank you very much!

Doing some wiring tonight, and I think its time to prep the wheels for a new color. Going to pick up the paint soon.

Comment

May 29th, 2010

I started off the first day of my 4 day weekend with a good dive into my list of E30 fixes and maintenance.

First off, best friends supercharged M3 had a big problem. The bolt that attaches the strut to the trailing arm broke the night before. And, the old piece was still stuck inside.

We headed to Home Depot to pick up a few more tools to do the job. On a side note, I always feel good when I buy tools. Just something about it. Anyways, we pick a drill and a broken bolt extractor kit.

We get the car off the ground and use the extractor bit, but it fails on us simply because of how tight the bolt was. So I sat there for a second, and came up with an idea. I drill two holes in the bolt, insert my massive screwdriver, and slowly but surely twist the old bolt out.

Voila!

So we put here all back together, and we have successfully tackled that problem. Now its time to work on the E30.

Well, about a week ago I found that my E30 would take a very long time to warm up. After a few minutes of checking, and using my brain, I decided to check the thermostat.

I pull it all apart

and I am stunned. I guess this explains my problem.

Good thing I bought a new 88 degree C thermostat. 15 dollars from Autozone FTW!!!

I install the thermostat, the o-ring, and some make a gasket. Put it all back together and bleed the system. No leaks, and a gauge that sits right at the halfway point.

**The zipties are colorful, and I do need them. Damn fan is close to the radiator!!

I purchased the OBC temp sensor from George Graves (excellent guy, I have bought from him, and sold to him.)

I was reading the included instructions, but then I remembered the fact that I had a temp sensor in my slue of parts. So I installed it, and its all fixed. So now I have an extra sensor laying around, which I dont mind.

Until tomorrow, when I install a switch for the aux fan, finish installing my extra fuel tank, and help my friend install a catback on his B5 S4.

Comment

May 31st 2010

First off, Happy Memorial Day to everyone, including the people who are serving, and have served our beloved country.

As I promised, the wheels have changed color from the neon green. And I have to say, I like this setup soooo much better.

It was also time for a bath, and a nice interior cleaning, so I spent the majority of the morning washing and vacuuming and wiping my E30 down. (and yes, it did make a difference!! haha) Then it was time for the pictures.

I know you are all antsy to see what MR E30 has come up with next, so I will stop typing away and just post the pictures.

Be sure to leave some comments, positive or negative.

Last edited by MR E30 325is; 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Here is Peter Chaney's video of Bimmerfest 2010.

Tell me if you can spot my E30 in any of the clips =)

Bimmerfest is a car gathering where BMW enthusiast come together and meet at 1 location. This years meet was located at the famous Rose Bowl located in Pasad...

Comment

Working...
                                X