X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM M3 Eccentric CAB's vs. THR CAB's

OEM M3 Eccentric CAB's vs. THR CAB's

WARNING: THIS IS JUST MY HONEST OPINION

I recently installed OEM M3 eccentric CAB's to replace my THR CAB's and wanted to post my impression.

Upon visual inspection, with both eccentrics of the M3 and THR CAB's lined up, the geometry is different. It appears the THR CAB's offer up more caster than the OEM bushings (by a couple of mm at least). They do NOT look like “M3 geometry”.

THR CAB's (install):

It is advertised that their install is very simple (which it was...on one side). When I first installed the bushings, I did NOT sand down my control arms. One side slid right on and the other side took a little persuasion. Initially there were no popping issues. After a few months it was time to replace my control arms. I reinstalled the bushings (again, not sanding down the paint on the control arms) and immediately had popping on both sides. I removed the paint on both sides and the popping went away. That lasted for a while but one side would continue to “pop” on sharp turns and minor road imperfections.

OEM M3 CAB’s (install):

It was very easy to uninstall the THR CAB’s. The OEM bushings are a little tough to get on (especially if the on heavy lifting you have done in the past couple of years is your calculator). I lubed them up real well and with all my might, I shoved them on.

Comparison:

The THR CAB’s coupled with my suspension (450#F, 600#R) let me feel every road imperfection (which is to be expected with a product like this). Understand that you are replacing a rubber busing with a solid mount. My car turned incredibly well and very precise. Steering felt very direct. I did experience a little bit of under-steer. The OEM M3 CAB’s really smoothed out my ride. Having the e30 as my daily driver, it was a nice to not have my CD player skip over every little bump. The car over-steers a little more now and the steering still feels very solid. There is a noticeable difference between the two. At first, I was use to the direct feeling of the THR CAB’s, which in turn mad the OEM bushings feel a little “bouncy” and soft. After driving with the OEM bushings on my daily route, I no longer feel that soft feel and am very satisfied with the change.

Conclusion:

Both are great products, it just depends on your application. The THR CAB’s were not for me. The made my ride a little too harsh. The M3 bushings, in my eyes, are a good compromise for some one wanting to upgrade their suspension (and cheaper too).

Thank you.

Aaron

2008 Audi S4 Avant

When were your THR CABs purchased?

It is important to note that they changed the inner bushing "sleeve" with a different material.

My original ones had problems like yours. With the new sleeve inserts, they're absolutely silent, so prospective buyers should not concern themselves with popping any longer.

Anyway, good comparison review. I wouldn't trade my THR CABs for anything, but it all depends on what you want out of your car.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Mine were their original bushings.

Originally posted by C ///M
      Anyway, good comparison review. I wouldn't trade my THR CABs for anything, but it all depends on what you want out of your car.
      Exactly, it is all up to what you want out of your car. For me, they were a little too much on the street.

Aaron
      2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

What color were the original THR bushing Vs. Updated ones? I knew the orinal had problem and I just received my set of THR the other day.
        sigpic
        Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
        00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
        92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
        91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
        91' e34 525iA=For parts
        92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

I'd consider going with THR because they're so much easier to get on.. but my car is a daily driver, and I can already feel every little bump (hell, I can feel the painted lines on the road!). they probably feel great in autox or on track, but I agree, the M3 bushings are a good compromise for a street car.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I <3 my M3 bushings.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by wastedincome
              What color were the original THR bushing Vs. Updated ones? I knew the orinal had problem and I just received my set of THR the other day.
              Original are black.

New are a semi transparent white.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                Original are black.

New are a semi transparent white.
                Yep, and the replacements DO stop the popping noises.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Call THR for free sleeves

Comment

I have the original THR bushings (black inner sleeve) and have had no problems with popping. Should I call and get the free sleeves and switch anyways?
                    sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't bother with it unless they are making noise. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to change them out. Mine were popping like mad so it had to be done and was well worth the effort.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

They're only sending them to me because my current ones are noisy.

Comment

So you're keeping them now?
                          sigpic

Comment

Probably selling the THR ones

Comment

Do the replacement sleeves need to get pressed in or do they just pop in with hand pressure?

Comment

Working...
                              X