Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC Kline Coilover Kit

Anyone have an opinion on this kit?

I would much rather go GC or C3 Motorsport. That is more expensive with no camber plates.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

It comes with the shock bodies though.

Comment

I think that is a generic picture because non M strut housings have the spindle built as one unit with the strut housing.
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by 8oost0ne View Post
          Anyone have an opinion on this kit?

http://www.autowerks.com/xcart/custo...tid=23210&cat=

.....not very popular item. TCK is great in general but Ive never heard of any1 using this set up. Consider GC......great price and very well proven.
          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I have spoke to a few people in the industry and I have found out that the GC kit doesn't always have spring and shock rates that are matched.

Comment

I have the a TC Kline D/A Koni setup. I highly recommend you just call them up directly. They are very knowledgable about E30s. Can do whatever you need. Forgot the guys name I talked to but he can go on and on about E30 stuff. You can get it cheaper directly too. They have most of the stuff in stock as well. And getting it direct will probably be cheaper. I know a signal adjustable setup was less then the Ground Control (and I haven't heard good things about their customer service).

My Koni D/As, 500# front, 600# rear (stock style rear spring), coilovers (front and rear), and IE Race Camber plates came to around 2300 I believe. I modified my own struts, but they offered for a little more then 100/each which isn't too bad as it does take at least an hour on each one to cut/weld/grind.

BTW, get the Monoball mounts, they are pimp :)
              SM 19 - Serial Destroyer of Cars
              Turbo '89 325i - It lives! Now the question is for how long?
              2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 8oost0ne View Post
                I have spoke to a few people in the industry and I have found out that the GC kit doesn't always have spring and shock rates that are matched.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT...

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan View Post
                  I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT...
                  Well you get to pick your spring rates and such. Now what they recommend might not be best for your application but the Koni's themselves are good match up to around 500-600# springs before you want custom valving. More in the rear since the rear suspensions effective spring rate isn't very high due to way things are mounted.

BTW, both TCKlines and the Ground control are the same thing. Just Koni's everything else is branding. If you want you can pick up the inserts and shocks yourself from TrueChoice or Koni NA
                  2SlowRcing.com

Comment

more shock stuff

Originally posted by rsafier View Post
                    Well you get to pick your spring rates and such. Now what they recommend might not be best for your application but the Koni's themselves are good match up to around 500-600# springs before you want custom valving. More in the rear since the rear suspensions effective spring rate isn't very high due to way things are mounted.

BTW, both TCKlines and the Ground control are the same thing. Just Koni's everything else is branding. If you want you can pick up the inserts and shocks yourself from TrueChoice or Koni NA

I also found out that the GC off the shelf koni SA's are good for up to like 650 ish rates....

And I also spoke to koni direct, and TCK valving and GC valving are different on OTS SA's.....

..and in general people rave about TCK cust service....my experience w/ GC was good in general....but notalways exemplary(sp?)

Comment

Really it comes down to if your on the street there is not a different you will every notice.
                      If you plan on racing it compeditively then your probably going to end up wanting more customer service for someone to bounce ideas off of that has actually raced E30s. Ground control sells to everyone under the sun. TCKline pretty much only does BMWs.

As far as a very streetable and good for AutoX setup.
                      500# front, 600# rear (25mm front sway, no rear bar). This is what I run. Its actually pretty soft in the rear, but lets you get traction better and still has plenty of roll control. Rebound full stiff front, full soft in rear. You will have a very neutral car. If you need more oversteer just like a 1/8 turn on the rebound in rear will give you that. For a full track setup you might want to go stiffer. But for autocross were you can get lots from smooth to very wavy and bumpy you need something a little softer to keep from hopping everywhere on those nasty lots.
                      The ride on the street is pretty nice, stiffer for sure but not so stiff you dread every expansion joint. I have all Delrin or Poly bushings and mounts and honestly think its fine on the street if you wanted to. Mine happens to only drive to and from events but if the engine was stock I wouldn't worry too much about daily driving it. Just that if you have a lot of potholes and stuff blowing a shock out its a little expensive.
                      2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Another vote for TC Kline. I went to a TCK setup on my autocross car a little over a year ago.

I was shopping around for nearly two months before I decided on them. I quickly decided against H&R and Bimmerworld (for the E30 anyway) I tried Ireland but honestly couldn’t get any real information from them about the kit and how to make it work for my needs. I was really leaning towards ground control because a large group of the local E30 race crew run them on their cars and recommend it. I literally TRIED to buy a kit from them for two weeks. I would call and ask about E30 kits...ok the guy who knows E30's was never in when I called, would leave a message for him and no call back. When I finally did talk with him he really didn't sell me on the kit and it seemed he just wanted to sell me the "standard" setup that road racers run, again this is for mostly autocross.

I called TC Kline and talked with a guy named Alex (not sure if he still works there) Turns out he was Alex Schipkov's Co-driver and new plenty about E30's. He asked me lots of questions about my car and my driving experience, actually did some research for specific parts, called me back and was genuinely interested in helping me get the right setup for my car. I forget how much it cost but it was around $1800 and that included Koni D/A and IE camber plates. I can’t compare it to other coil-over kits but I can say this was the best upgrade I have done to my car...no question.

Justin
                        sigpic

Comment

Same price:

I have a hybrid of TCKR and IE stuff on my cars.

Comment

Alex SHCHIPKOV...sorry about misspelling your name man...

Justin
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 10/10ths View Post
                              Alex SHCHIPKOV...sorry about misspelling your name man...

Justin

I'll forgive you. This time

I'll be at Devens National Tour next weekend. Come say hello.

Comment

Working...
                              X