Girling brake caliper with a lip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girling brake caliper with a lip

I want to change the brake pads and rotors on my 1990 E30, but the rotor has a lip around the outside of it(guessing they have not been changed in a long time, if ever) that won’t allow me to remove the caliper because I can’t get the pads over it. Any ideas what I can do next?

Couple of options:

1. (assuming you already took out the bolts holding the calipers) Pull the caliper hard against the rotor. Then try taking it off. What you're trying to do is by pushing the caliper you're pushing on the brake pad which in turn retracts the piston.

2. If you're definitely throwing away the old rotor, just take a file or a grinder to the lip.

Comment

Yeah, pulled the bolts. Though about grinding the rotor. I will give that a try.

Comment

A nice chunky screwdriver between the edge of the brake rotor and the inside of the caliper as a lever to get it off. will probably wreck the pads but you are replacing them anyway?:D

Comment

Ahhhhh.........have you pushed the pistons back into the calipers yet? You should have loads of room.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Use a big c clamp to retract the piston. One foot goes on the back of the caliper, the other on the outside pad. The piston will be retracted enough to pull the caliper and pads off the rotor.
            Originally posted by Sonny
            I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Like e30davie said, use something try pry the piston in. Since you are replacing the rotor and pads, no need to worry about hurting them.

Comment

Girling caliper continued

Soooo, was able to remove caliper by swing the caliper up and out of the way. Was under the mis-impression I could remove everything as a unit by removing the 17 mm bolts. Wrong, I needed to pivot the caliper first to remove the pads, then removed the carrier. Thanks to everyone for you input.

Comment

Working...
                X