m50 3.5 inch throttle body treehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 3.5 inch throttle body treehouse

Posted this in the for sale and didn't get much movement. Lets talk about why and why not this upgrade is worth it.

Wouldn't this require a larger diameter MAF? I would think that the bigger throttle body would still be choked by a smaller MAF unless air speed makes up for it. Aside form that, what are the benefits? VAC has a kit that claims 5-10 hp but doesn't say on what specific engine. From what I understand, the larger throttle body only makes a significant difference on engines with supporting mods.
    Originally posted by Melon
    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Lots of peoples first modification is 3.5 inch MAF. So this would match the MAF.
      Last edited by surebimmer; 01-05-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

So bore of that alloy Adapter is less than 3.5"?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

The largest you can bore the stock manifold is just a hair over 3.25 inches.

Comment

So no more talk about this? guess i will just put it on my car and have a day. Less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
              So no more talk about this? guess i will just put it on my car and have a day. Less is more.
              I'll talk about it. I've had one of those TBs sitting on a shelf in my garage with this thought in my head for ages. Can you post some more pictures? Of the throttle cable linkage? What TPS do you use? what tune? And have you been driving with this setup yet?
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

You use the TPS on the throttle body. Never been able to figure out the throttle cable. Bought two cables from Jon at treehouse but the part number where scratched off. Anyone know how to contact him? Maybe now that he closed down he would be willing to give up the info on the OEM part number.

Comment

but the part number where scratched off.

Might not have been him who did that. I get a lot of OEM parts with the numbers scratched off when buying them outside the dealers.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

You use the TPS on the throttle body. Never been able to figure out the throttle cable. Bought two cables from Jon at treehouse but the part number where scratched off. Anyone know how to contact him? Maybe now that he closed down he would be willing to give up the info on the OEM part number.
                    I just checked the PN for the e36 TPS and it cross referenced to the TPS on the 740, so the TPSs are the same parts.

Can you lay out the throttle cable you have an take some measurements and photos? I have a couple of throttle cables laying around. E36, E34 and E30 that I can compare it against.
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

Comment

I made my own adapter plate (with hand tools only) and mounted an M60 throttle body to my M50 manifold. The hole in the adapter needs a slight taper because you can't open up the stock manifold to the full diameter of the M60 throttle body. You lose the stock sealing gasket so I used a little RTV to seal it. It uses the same TPS sensor that my S50 did stock so that works perfect. You must flip the TB upside down. I re-used the throttle cable that I used on my S50 swap (from a 5-series I think?). Driveability is exactly the same as the stock S50 TB without any changes to the tune.

I have a fully built head with valves, valve springs, big 286/272 cams, lots of port work, 3.5" TB, 3.5" MAF, custom 3.5" intake, ebay headers, 7500 RPM redline, and a full stainless 3" exhaust. Because of my other mods, I think the TB is a worthwhile upgrade. Not to mention, it just plain looks better if nothing more.

Comment

While my setup may not be as aggressive, I'm still interested in this as an upgrade.

I have a 2.8L M50 stroker with S52 cams and 11.somthing:1 compression. I'll also be using Ebay headers and a custom exhaust.

However, I'm still not sure how much power I would gain. Does anyone have dyno graphs with potentially different engines/mods? How would it look better? Pictures?
                        Originally posted by Melon
                        Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Working...
                        X