No announcement yet.

Euro project.?.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the direction you are taking. I can't wait for you to find the right car.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
      See if this makes sense. Notice how for both city light indications my hand is on the stalk holding it in place. This is because it is like the high beam flash feature in a way. It does click but does not hold the stalk in the position. The BC button in your above post is for the OBC. It toggles the different modes on the OBC. Pretty cool option back in the 80's/90's but not a Euro only thing.

Cheers,

Brian
      ok i understand how it works, but aren't the city lights always on? What really is the point of it? its cool and i want it :p but i'm just curious

Comment

The city lights on US cars are always on. :p They work as driving lights I believe, but they are also parking lights. Again, this is just what I was told by someone, but when you park on the street, you flip your parking light on depending on what side of the street you are on and the light stays on until your batt. dies. If you don't return in time your batt is dead and ticket maybe? I think there may actually be a timer on it and if the light is off the cops give you a ticket, but I am not 100% sure. I don't live in Europe yet so this is all just based off what I have heard and have put together with my own logic...or lack there of. :D

Thanks for the compliments constructor. I can't wait to start looking for a car too! Hopefully I can get most of the parts together while I'm finishing school and then have a great write up when I get the car!

Cheers,

Brian

Comment

Would be nice to see this project. Sounds like it going to be nice.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Motorsports View Post
            Would be nice to see this project. Sounds like it going to be nice.
            :) I'm working on it. It has been a while since I've rolled around in an E30 so I'm looking forward to picking up a new one and putting all my goodies on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
              yea please do and where did you find it? is it rare or common in europe?
              I found mine at the junk yard on a euro car. All euro cars with city lights had them. They come up for sale on here from time to time. Most people don't go through the effort of wiring up the city lights correctly, using the turn signal stalk, but I don't like doing things when I know there are things missing and short cuts are made. It's like missing out on another cool feature.

Comment

I don't like doing things when I know there are things missing and short cuts are made. It's like missing out on another cool feature.
                Amen to that! That's cool about the city lights and that might be the right answer about what it is for but who knows. What's interesting i why you can only turn one at a time on. I don't really get that. Tell me if you ever see one of these for sale.

your car is gonna look awesome once you put everything on. you have discovered euro things i haven't even heard about

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
                  Amen to that! That's cool about the city lights and that might be the right answer about what it is for but who knows. What's interesting i why you can only turn one at a time on. I don't really get that. Tell me if you ever see one of these for sale.

your car is gonna look awesome once you put everything on. you have discovered euro things i haven't even heard about
                  When you have them on as driving lights they both light up, but when parking it is just the side that is closer to the center of the road. That way people can see the lights on. No need for the side walk to see them. :P

This is a really cool thread that talks about a lot of rare euro and US parts along with some high end respectable aftermarket parts.

That's where I have gotten a lot of my ideas. Others are from friends or just dumb luck.

I can't wait to see your car with euro bumpers. I'm going to be living vicariously through you until I get my car. :D

Comment

So I got a few goodies. Euro fog light buckets and brackets (need reflectors and lenses), and euro OBC. The OBC doesn't work so I pulled it apart to get the buttons. Unfortunately due to the way they are assembled, it will be easier if I swap them into a VDO obc. The one I have is a USA made unit.

Comment

So I got a few goodies. Euro fog light buckets and brackets (need reflectors and lenses), and euro OBC. The OBC doesn't work so I pulled it apart to get the buttons. Unfortunately due to the way they are assembled, it will be easier if I swap them into a VDO obc. The one I have is a USA made unit.
                      nice. show us pics

Comment

The parking light feature is left on so that cars driving by at night don't smash into your car because the roads are so tight around Europe. You leave the parking light on that's facing the street for more visibility at night...The drain on the battery is so low that it won't drain your battery. If any of you guys have E46s you can leave the blinker stalk in either position and turn the car off and the blinker will stay on steady, sorta like the same idea as the city lights.
                        1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                        1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                        1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                        1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by dannyg View Post
                          The parking light feature is left on so that cars driving by at night don't smash into your car because the roads are so tight around Europe. You leave the parking light on that's facing the street for more visibility at night...The drain on the battery is so low that it won't drain your battery. If any of you guys have E46s you can leave the blinker stalk in either position and turn the car off and the blinker will stay on steady, sorta like the same idea as the city lights.
                          Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense. Did you live in europe at one point?

Here are some pics of my OBC project. Notice the internals are different. I need to pick up another VDO OBC to make it work (could probably manage with the US made one, but it will be easier with VDO). For now I'm at a stand still.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Couple more pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I may have found the car. I will not be picking it up until summer, but unless something else comes up, this is the apple of my eye! It currently belongs to a good friend's cousin up north. Already has euro bumpers, but needs the valance which I have. No other euro goodies on it. Car has all the books and records since 1986. Clean schwartz paint. It's a 325es which will be perfect for what I want to do since it already has the diff I want.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I want those bumpers!
                                M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X