Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AutoXinE30 View Post
    That is good news. Officially any option for an E30 will work for an E28.

For a ~1 in shorter housing use standard E30 shock inserts.
    For a ~2-4in shorter housing use E30 IX shock inserts
    For a ~5 in shorter housing use G60 shock inserts (Probably more then anyone would really need.

Now we need an easy to find rear shock option that is a little shorter then E28 shocks....
    How much can you shorten the front E34 housing before it's too short? For no inner tire to strut/spring contact that is?
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

hey guys, been lurking around for a while, came for the m20 section and now the 5er section. heres my setup, im looking for some advice. currently running coilover sleeves maxed out with unknown 6" springs all around with iirc 2" or 1.75" chopped off the front housing. im running g60 kyb's up front and stock boges out back.

my problem is i think in the springs, they feel way to soft. the rear barely got any stiffer in the rear compared to stock, and the front is hard to compare because i did the shocks and springs at the same time. i think i narrowed it down though because i managed to test out an obviously slightly stiffer spring and the ride got less bouncy up front. im planning on shortening the housings more so i can ride lower and have more shock travel.

so what rates do you think i can run with a g60 kyb insert? also, advice for rear shocks?

picc 087 by INdPixma, on Flickr

the rear actually sits lower, parking brake + driveway makes the left rear hike up.

picc 085 by INdPixma, on Flickr

sitting on 195/60r15 rear and not pictured 185/60 fronts. wheels are 15x7 et0

any advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

E28Stoff..DUde! How can you ride lower AND/OR more suspension travel?? I can allready see your crossmember is literally an inch from the ground. My car isnt very low compared to you guys that like to slam em' and I allready have to have a friend pull the car up by the fender lip to get a low profile jack under the front of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by E28stoff View Post
          hey guys, been lurking around for a while, came for the m20 section and now the 5er section. heres my setup, im looking for some advice. currently running coilover sleeves maxed out with unknown 6" springs all around with iirc 2" or 1.75" chopped off the front housing. im running g60 kyb's up front and stock boges out back.

my problem is i think in the springs, they feel way to soft. the rear barely got any stiffer in the rear compared to stock, and the front is hard to compare because i did the shocks and springs at the same time. i think i narrowed it down though because i managed to test out an obviously slightly stiffer spring and the ride got less bouncy up front. im planning on shortening the housings more so i can ride lower and have more shock travel.

so what rates do you think i can run with a g60 kyb insert? also, advice for rear shocks?

sitting on 195/60r15 rear and not pictured 185/60 fronts. wheels are 15x7 et0

any advice greatly appreciated.
          I would definitely get some shocks that are actually designed to be that low and handle higher spring rates. That is why your car is so bouncy. I would get Koni Yellows.

Comment

I run 450 6" front springs and 375 8" springs out back. Very firm ride with Bilsteins all around.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
              I run 450 6" front springs and 375 8" springs out back. Very firm ride with Bilsteins all around.

nigel. plz make more e28 coilovers.

1987 528i Royalblau

Comment

Originally posted by bavarianaddict06 View Post
                nigel. Plz make more e28 coilovers.
                +1

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
                Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Since your local you can be added to the trial group. You must use bilsteins in the rear or an equivalent shock that has multiple notches for the spring perch.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Damn, Im not local.

Comment

Sorry but trouble shooting over the phone is hard.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

There's a lot of info around for the e28 mods. Someone needs to compile a info thread.

Comment

Since your local you can be added to the trial group. You must use bilsteins in the rear or an equivalent shock that has multiple notches for the spring perch.
                          yay! lmk me know! r u goin to southbay meet this sunday?

1987 528i Royalblau

Comment

Sorry but trouble shooting over the phone is hard.
                            If Aje28s been running them for a year now, It shouldnt be to bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BavarianAddict06 View Post
                              nigel. plz make more e28 coilovers.
                              Originally posted by BavarianAddict06 View Post
                              yay! lmk me know! r u goin to southbay meet this sunday?

Diesels not ready. Too hot to roll the fenders. I have to now with the wider rubber. Sneak peak

Originally posted by 86 325e View Post
                              If Aje28s been running them for a year now, It shouldnt be to bad.
                              6 months. The biggest thing is determining spring rates since most people have no clue what to get or if they will blow out their shocks. Also their is the potential hazard of people not relocating the spring perch clips correctly which could make them pop off and completely dumping the rear of the car.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

6 months. The biggest thing is determining spring rates since most people have no clue what to get or if they will blow out their shocks. Also their is the potential hazard of people not relocating the spring perch clips correctly which could make them pop off and completely dumping the rear of the car.
                                I see. I know what spring rates I want but not about the spring perch in the rear.

Comment

Working...
                                X