APEX | 17" 4-Lug ARC-8 Pre Group-Buy Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by APEX Race Parts View Post
    Yeah, this offset works well... for 17" wheels and tires...

Whats important to remember is that tire size is really better called tire "class" or family...
    A "225" tire should measure 225mm across, a "235" 235mm and so on. However this is almost never the case, especially with performance focused tires.
    Then, what about the sidewall? is it really square, does it bulge? does it tuck in and then widen by the wheel with a lip protector?

15" tires, especially when they go from 205s and up, run wide. The 225/45-15 size is specifically targeted at Autocross and track cars, coming in summer and track compounds. I could easily see this causing a problem at that offset, yet when you go to a 225 class 17 inch wheel, now were talking production car sizes on a family Subaru, and a different shape sidewall.
    Gotcha, my tires are square but they are slightly wider than the wheel and hang over the lip so that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Have you seen enough interest in this thread to start production anytime soon?
    2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
      Have you seen enough interest in this thread to start production anytime soon?
      This thread is jumpppppin

We are going to do an E30 4 lug wheel for sure:
      1) We have the tooling to do our 17x8 but we want to determine if the market has changed since we ran that wheel. Is it that now people are looking for something else?

2) As I see it the E30 world has changed in 6 years; it's far more focused on vintage inspired restomod, stance, or wild performance mods.

15x7s and stock M20s are just about over... People are pushing things in more extreme directions like LS and 1JZ swaps, drifting, full blow restorations with leather dash wraps. Even though our 17x8 is great for its intended audience (a easy bolt on street performance or track day fitment that has very nice brake clearance) if everyone wants to have a concave wheel, with some tire stretch, OR is running modded sheet metal or flairs, then we can adapt a tooling to facilitate a nice concave wheel

3) R3v is primarily street cars, and so the input will certainly skew to wheels that will be cool on a street car. We make track car wheels that just happen to look cool some times. ;D

We'd like to make a wheel that offers awesome performance and looks... but if a concave fitment is something that's desirable we can do a 17x8.5 and that won't require a ton of fender rolling.

Ultimately, we just have some way to go before most of the community gravitates toward a good solution. Discussion allows for thought provoking ideas, education, and to allow us to make what the community at large really wants :D

925.245.0773 | info@apexraceparts.com | Instagram | Facebook | Blog | Vehicle-Specific Fitment Guides

Comment

16's *cough cough* 16's!
        08 NHBP Acura TL Type S DD

91 AW 318i new to me as of 1/25/2016
        Bone Stock

01 LSB M3
        Engine:BMC Filter, Samco Arm, SP Engineering Air Scoop
        Suspension: Status Gruppe SRS Coilovers Kit 7kg/8kg, AKG 85A FCAB & 90A RTAB, Rogue Front Strut Tower Reinforcement, Rogue Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement, Turner Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement
        Brakes:Cool Carbon Pads, StopTech Lines
        Exterior:Bosch OEM Amber Corners, Depo Smoked Turn Signals, Matte Grills and Kidneys

Comment

This thread is jumpppppin

We are going to do an E30 4 lug wheel for sure:
          1) We have the tooling to do our 17x8 but we want to determine if the market has changed since we ran that wheel. Is it that now people are looking for something else?

2) As I see it the E30 world has changed in 6 years; it's far more focused on vintage inspired restomod, stance, or wild performance mods.

15x7s and stock M20s are just about over... People are pushing things in more extreme directions like LS and 1JZ swaps, drifting, full blow restorations with leather dash wraps. Even though our 17x8 is great for its intended audience (a easy bolt on street performance or track day fitment that has very nice brake clearance) if everyone wants to have a concave wheel, with some tire stretch, OR is running modded sheet metal or flairs, then we can adapt a tooling to facilitate a nice concave wheel

3) R3v is primarily street cars, and so the input will certainly skew to wheels that will be cool on a street car. We make track car wheels that just happen to look cool some times. ;D

We'd like to make a wheel that offers awesome performance and looks... but if a concave fitment is something that's desirable we can do a 17x8.5 and that won't require a ton of fender rolling.

Ultimately, we just have some way to go before most of the community gravitates toward a good solution. Discussion allows for thought provoking ideas, education, and to allow us to make what the community at large really wants :D

17x8.5 would work for me too. In for couple sets
          1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
          1990 e30 325is
          1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Originally posted by Taco Sauce View Post
            16's *cough cough* 16's!
            16" wheels:
            16" fitments don't fit our goals for an E30 project. You may ask why and the reason is two fold:
            1: Tire selection is very poor in performance compounds, its an esthetic need. I get it because I have 16" Evo wheels on my E30... But I have wanted to get 17s forever because I want better tires! In this case, 16s are at a disadvantage for performance.

2:15" wheels are lighter and have better tire availability. 17" wheels also have better tire availability, and better brake clearance.

3:We have no existing tooling we can use, or CAD drawings for 16" wheels. That means additional cost to creat a 16" e30 only fitment. Out of the gate, this 16" wheel would cost $15-20 more per wheel on the group buy vs. a 17" design.

Discuss potstir :pimp:

925.245.0773 | info@apexraceparts.com | Instagram | Facebook | Blog | Vehicle-Specific Fitment Guides

Comment

What do you guys think about 17x8.5 ET20 concave? It could look like this, but would be 4 lug:

Requirements:
              -Roll fenders for meaty sizes, like 235/40-17

-Stretch 215/40-17 for a nearly direct fit

Note for you guys building track and big speed projects: any tire beyond a 235 in the front usually contacts the fire wall; yes even on an E30 M3. The fender is NOT the issue. If you we're building a bad ass E30 and wanted 245s for example, you would need adjustable front lower control arms to move the wheel and tire assembly forward, but then any size wheel that would support a 245 will likely need this too.

Comment

So when can we start creating a list to order? Is this going to be out a bit? I'm in the process for shopping now and just want to know if I should look else where or wait for these.
                F80 M3 Alpine
                E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                E28 Blackish 535i
                E21 Silver 320i
                Disco1 98 4.6
                ~~~~~~
                E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                E30 325i SOLD
                E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                sigpic

Comment

What do you guys think about 17x8.5 ET20 concave? It could look like this, but would be 4 lug:
                  That looks fantastic, put me down for a set.
                  Zelig the Zinno • 300k and counting
                  http://instagram.com/zelig.the.zinno

Comment

Requirements:

Note for you guys building track and big speed projects: any tire beyond a 235 in the front usually contacts the fire wall; yes even on an E30 M3. The fender is NOT the issue. If you we're building a bad ass E30 and wanted 245s for example, you would need adjustable front lower control arms to move the wheel and tire assembly forward, but then any size wheel that would support a 245 will likely need this too.
                    YES YES YES YES YES YESSSS

I'm in

Originally posted by blunttech
                    Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
                      yes yes yes yes yes yessss

I'm in
                      +1 :-D
                      2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

17x8.5!!!!

Keeping an eye on this thread.

Comment

Are you saying that if you want to run 215 tires (and I am), the 8.5" wheel is going to be wider than the tire? Didn't think that was a good thing. If that's the case, I'd rather stick with the 8" wide wheels. Any pictures of 215 tires on 8.5" wheels? I do like the concave look though, flats look nice too.

Comment

I would love a 17x8 et20 & 17x9 et25 setup.

But the 17x8.5 et20 is the next best thing, and I'd take that.

Either way, concave is the way to go!
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I like these wheels and just browsing through tires recently it looks like 225/50r15 is getting pretty scarce so I'll need a change.

edit: i like the look of the concaves even better...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by NC325iC; 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Requirements:

This is awesome! Love the concave look! I'm ready to put a deposit down for this size.
                                Last edited by ian e30 318is; 02-06-2016, 12:33 AM.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                                Instagram:
                                https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                                LS Build Thread:
                                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Working...
                                X