Rotor Retaining Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor Retaining Screw

Hey guys, hopefully this is the right place to ask. Im trying to remove the retaining screw on the rotor but its proving to be a pain. Used an allen key, it stripped. So I picked up a drill and some cobalt bits to use an extractor and I just feel like its taking AGES to drill into it. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips to get this thing out?

You could always try soaking it in penetration oil and heating it up with a torch?

Or you could even drill off the entire top half of the bolt, IIRC it's pretty small right?

Comment

Yeah its a 6mm hex. I wouldnt mind drilling the damned thing out but drilling in GENERAL is just taking a while. Spent like an hour and only got a small dimple.

Comment

I almost rounded one wiht an allen key, so before i completely rounded it I bought a few 1/2" drive to allen key sockets. I think its supposed to be 6mm, so i bought a 6mm and i also bought the imperial size that was just slightly bigger.

I think on the one i almost rounded I ended up bashing the slightly bigger imperial size in with a hammer and was able to get it out that way.

Comment

Once you get it out... don't bother again. I stopped using them. Far less hassle.
          Estoguy
          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Impact screwdriver. Invest in one you’ll never have to worry about it again.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

If you don't want to keep the rotor, then use a heavy hammer and hit the rotor from the back. The hat will crack around the setscrew. Then use a ViceGrip.
              Or with the rotor still in place, you can also hammer in a Torx bit into the rounded hex, then you should have decent grip to remove the setscrew with a ratchet.
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Drill out the head, get the rotor off, then, use some vice grips to get what's left out.

Comment

The Torx/star drive trick is my go to with a stripped Allen bolt.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by nick_318is View Post
                    Drill out the head, get the rotor off, then, use some vice grips to get what's left out.
                    This is what I've always done with mine. Sounds like OP got shit drill bits or something, it should drill right out. All 4 on my car stripped when I first did brakes years ago and after drilling off the head and getting the rotor off I was able to get the remaining bolt shank out with pliers, didn't even need vice grips. They were nearly loose enough to get out by hand once the pressure from the rotor was released by drilling off the head.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

In the future. Use an impact driver. One swing of a hammer and its loose no messing around with drilling and all that nonsense.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        In the future. Use an impact driver. One swing of a hammer and its loose no messing around with drilling and all that nonsense.

i haven't dealt with any of these little bastards since i got an impact driver. definitely the best way to do stuff like this though. i loooove using it on old rusty philips heads that would easily strip otherwise.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                          i haven't dealt with any of these little bastards since i got an impact driver. definitely the best way to do stuff like this though. i loooove using it on old rusty philips heads that would easily strip otherwise.

Exactly i use it on pressure plate bolts, brake rotor retainers and anything else that has been assembled for a while and torqued down that could strip.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                          X