Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remove parking brake cable from backing plate - early style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove parking brake cable from backing plate - early style?

1985 318i drum brakes.

I'm redoing my subframe and removing the p-brake cable from the backing plate looks trivial - it moves around just fine and is not overly corroded, but a collar/keeper is preventing it just slipping out the back like the clymer manual says.

So I searched and g-damnitt the way my parking brake cable passes through my backing plate is nothing like any of the photos or diagrams I can find. I can see all sorts of trouble people are having - but none match mine.

Hopefully you can see the photo attached - the question I have is whether I can/should destroy the keeper that is preventing me from pulling the cable out the back, or if is there a trick of some kind.

thanks
    Attached Files

Update - I used a drift to pound flat the crimps on the keeper which were preventing me from pulling the cable straight out.

This is the second (technically the first) instance of my early e30 being different than every other e30 on the web.

Lucky for me though this ended up being easier to deal with than the more convential setup which sounds like it's a real bitch most of the time.

Comment

Working...
    X