Rocker Arm Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker Arm Replacement

Hello, i'm debating whether or not it'd be possible/practical for me to attempt to replace my #6 intake rocker arm by myself.....at home.

I have the minimal amount of tools, a decent background in automechanics, but not the best environment. (I get bitched at by my my dad when coolant happens to hit the floor!) :?

I have a Haynes manual, and can borrow my Uncle's bentley.

I've looked through them both, but am a little iffy on the exact process i'd have to go through.I want to replace the rocker arm without removing the head.....and i believe if i get the timing gear off, i can slide the rocker arm shaft far enough out i can replace the rocker arm without taking off the head.

However, i know Timing Belt replacement can be difficult or time-consuming.....so i want to know what i'm looking at.

Someone (read most likely Jordan) check my process:
    Remove fan, then radiator, possibly the hood for ease, the timing belt cover, the timing belt gear or etc. then the front end plug, and slide the rocker arm shaft..... replace the rocker arm...... put it all together.

Am i missing any important steps you think?

I'd appreciate any words of wisedom (but not criticism), and any encouragement.

- - Wingnut

I would start by removing hood and then the radiator, and then pull the fan off by unscrewing the big nut on the back of it. It is reverse thread, so make sure you are turning it the right way. The only tool that will really fit in to do it, is a pair of channel locks. The nut will be a bitch to remove and will make the belt slip. Just tighten the belt as much as possible and if it still slips, use something to wedge it and stop it from moving. When you have it off, make sure you set it down in an upright position. It has a fluid clutch that will die if you set it down flat.

After you have the fan off, pull the housing that the fan was attached to by removing the 4 10mm bolts that hold it on. After this, you can get to timing belt cover. Take it off and remove the tensioner and the timing belt.

This is as far as I know how to do, so Jordan or someone else will have to fill you in from here.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
      I would start by removing hood and then the radiator, and then pull the fan off by unscrewing the big nut on the back of it. It is reverse thread, so make sure you are turning it the right way. The only tool that will really fit in to do it, is a pair of channel locks. The nut will be a bitch to remove and will make the belt slip. Just tighten the belt as much as possible and if it still slips, use something to wedge it and stop it from moving. When you have it off, make sure you set it down in an upright position. It has a fluid clutch that will die if you set it down flat.

After you have the fan off, pull the housing that the fan was attached to by removing the 4 10mm bolts that hold it on. After this, you can get to timing belt cover. Take it off and remove the tensioner and the timing belt.

This is as far as I know how to do, so Jordan or someone else will have to fill you in from here.

Andrew
      that is a big help...... i bet Jordan can clean up with the details :)

i'm basically thinking of going to a BMW independent shop......but i could really afford, (or rather can't afford not to) try to do this myself

Comment

I'm not cleaning up, I don't know how many times now you have posted this same topic, and I have replied to it in detail.

For christ sakes already, just DO IT.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          I'm not cleaning up, I don't know how many times now you have posted this same topic, and I have replied to it in detail.

For christ sakes already, just DO IT.
          yeah, i remember what you posted last time, but it kinda got lost on E3S and i forgot to print it. Sorry, Jordan.......but thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X