M3 steering rack into 318is or 325is - P/S pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 steering rack into 318is or 325is - P/S pump question

When I bought my car, as part of the deal I also got a M3 steering rack and P/S pump. The removal of the stock 318is rack seems and installation of the M3 rack seems pretty straight forward.

However I have a question pertaining to the P/S pump. For those who have done this upgrade, did you also replace the pump witht the M3 one or re-used the one that came with the old rack.

From my initial visual external inspections it seems that the 318 pump looks similar if not identical to the M3 pump. However they could still be different on the inside as to how much steering boost they provide.

Any input welcome.

TIA

Mario

My 318is steering rack is toasted.. the seals are blown. I put fluid in and in about three days it on the pavement. I need to get a new rack, please let me know how the swap goes. I would be interested in doing the swap also.

Comment

Mario-

I know someone who did an M3 steering rack swap on their '92 cabrio. It is my understanding that it was a simple bolt-in procedure that ultilized the cars' original lines and pump. I guess one way to check this is to find out if the 318s have the same steering pump as the 325s. If it does then it sould be pretty straight-forward stuff. You may also want to get varification on the size of the fittings for the lines just to ensure that you don't need to buy any extra items.

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

On my s50b30 conversion I have now a 525i pump and stock rack,
        I first used the m3 pump and unrelated if failed, I then got a 325i pump wich made mode pressure then the m3 pump, then the 525i pump and it makes even more pressure,

It is the all pressure regulated by the brake bomb,

Pumps have diffrent pressure as to what size car they are in,
        Gunni
        @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Working...
        X