F20C powered 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
    There's a K20 to BMW transmission adapter package available from KMiata.

I bought one for my E36 K20 swap with EFR7163. The quality of the pieces is fantastic. And this will make my swap so much easier than making a bunch of custom stuff. Pretty much all I need to fab are the 2 front motor mounts and the turbo manifold. OK, there's a lot more, but it'll be infinitely easier than trying to swap in the Honda trans too.

how much did just the adapter cost? the problem I saw was I want the 6 speed haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
      how much did just the adapter cost? the problem I saw was I want the 6 speed haha

Have a look at the site. I'm pretty sure it works with the E46 BMW 6 speed.

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
      I dont see how this swap is going to suck :) Probably a lighter and more powerful swap than M42 for sure!!

Not sure about lighter. The K20 head is dense! Lots going on there. 100% for sure more powerful though. You should see the ports on this thing. And good for 600whp on stock internals, though I won't be sticking with stock stuff. Pistons, rods and valvesprings and I'll be rev limiting somewhere north of 9,000 and making power to 8,500+.

And not having to spend cubic dollars $$$$$ like I would with an M42 and not even get close to the same power levels.

Comment

Link up the build thread when you get to it Jaker. Super interested in a K swap for my 318is.

Comment

As an owner of a 90' 325is and an 03 s2000, you have me interested!

Comment

Cmon make a swap kit... plz
            Hank Ahrens
            1984 Alpine Coupe
            1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
              OK, there's a lot more, but it'll be infinitely easier than trying to swap in the Honda trans too.
              But the S2000 shifter feel is far superior to an E30's getrag.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

I don't see how this swap would be cheaper than an M52. The engine and transmission alone range around 3 - 6 thousand dollars on eBay. I do think this is an amazing swap though, regardless of price. I bet it feels so crisp.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  But the S2000 shifter feel is far superior to an E30's getrag.
                  I wouldn't call it "far superior", it is very different. It's probably the most crisp shift action I have driven, comparable to a Miata. Everybody knows the s2000 for the 9k rpm limit and the shifter afterall. That being said a full rebuilt e30 shifted assembly with solid bushings and a DSSR has a great shift feel. I like them both in different ways!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  I don't see how this swap would be cheaper than an M52. The engine and transmission alone range around 3 - 6 thousand dollars on eBay. I do think this is an amazing swap though, regardless of price. I bet it feels so crisp.
                  I agree, I wouldn't call it a cost effective swap, especially if we are talking power per dollar. The power band is very different than a BMW i6 though. Super fun in the sports car chassis of the s2000, not sure how it would be in the e30, interesting for sure.

I'm all for people doing new stuff with the e30 platform, always fun to see people push the limits.

Comment

Even with a completely rebuilt shifter assembly (like mine) and nice tight bushings to eliminate play where the or a fancy aftermarket shifter like one of the E30s I've tuned, the E30 Getrags are still prone to play inside the transmission itself. On the several that I have had out of a car, all had a varying amounts of play inside the transmission itself when you put it in gear from the selector shaft. Put a screwdriver in the hole of the selector shaft of a removed getrag sometime and put it in gear, the selector shaft itself will still rotate back and forth a small amount, depending on how loose your particular transmission is. This is be magnified by the geometry of the shifter itself so even with a perfect shifter after the transmission the Getrag 2XX boxes have some play when in gear and just don't shift as crisply or precisely as the S2000 I've driven did. I suppose shifter feel is a personal thing, but I like it to have precise and positive action like a good bolt action rifle, and the play in E30 shifters while in gear bothers me.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                    Power per dollar, barking up the wrong tree, turbo M20 wins that hands down. But if you want over 200hp NA without the extra weight of a 24V conversion and desire superior throttle response, it's a good choice. It's probably not as light as an M10 but I can't see it weighing more than an M42, and there's something to be said for the light front end of a 4 cylinder E30. If you use aluminum M52 then you're losing a some weight vs an M20 but it's still further forward than with an I4 and there's no comparing the response of an M52B28 to an F20.
                    Last edited by varg; 02-01-2018, 05:26 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

My trans has a lot of miles on it, and could be worn, but even with custom made delrin bushings for the carrier, and a DSSR, I really just don't find the shift feel to be all that good, and there is still a small amount of play in the carrier and shifter. I know some people love the E30 shifter, but I just don't see it. If I were to do this swap, getting away from my trans and shifter would be a significant part of the motivation. I've never touched an S2000 shifter, but I would imagine that it's better than what I have. Also has the benefit of having another gear, and better gear ratios.

I have too many cars, so I don't know that I'll be keeping my E30 long term, but if I do keep it, I'm seriously considering a K24/6 speed swap.

Comment

I just want this weekend swap kit to become real. starting to think it's dead since there hasn't been any response in a long time.

Comment

pIt's not dead, just trying to make the kits as easy to produce as possible to keep the price reasonable. The upper trans bracket is done...

Last edited by Fucatypr; 04-01-2018, 03:08 PM.
                          1993 BMW 850ci factory 6 speed
                          1992 Honda Civic Hatch, built B16, turbo, and nitrous
                          1989 BMW 325i, f20c swap
                          1989 Honda CRX, built LS/vtec, turbo, and nitrous

Comment

Cool stuff. Subbed.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by Fucatypr View Post
                              pIt's not dead, just trying to make the kits as easy to produce as possible to keep the price reasonable. The upper trans bracket is done...

YES ITS NOT DEAD lol excited to see more about the kit. ill for sure be buying one

Comment

If one of these "bolt-on" options is done before I do something with my M20, I will be extremely tempted... I will be waiting and watching
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X