• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to 5 lug converting... why need it?

ok as the titles says...

other than for a better braking system.

why do the 5-lug?

im going to pursue an engine swap in the future... the added power needs added braking strength.

another question, is the 5 lug conversion necessary in order to have the swap completed?

im going to pick up a wrecked e36 m3 soon (hopefully wrecked from the rear) and salvage as much parts from it as possible and put it on the e30.

just wanted some info and input from you guys.

what other benefits can you guys list with the 5-lug conversion
    2007 Mazda CX-7 (red TURBO!!)
    1985 BMW 318i.... beige!
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (red)

previous cars
    1) 1994 Isuzu Trooper (blue)
    2) 2005 Scion tC (panda w/ CF)
    3) 2001 Toyota Avalon (silver)
    4) 1988 Nissan Pulsar XE (T top in red)

Cool factor and wheel selection. You have plenty of 4lug brake upgrade options that will suit a swap fine.

EDIT: just saw you have an early 318i, so you have drum rear brakes, that is your best reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Cool factor and wheel selection. You have plenty of 4lug brake upgrade options that will suit a swap fine.

EDIT: just saw you have an early 318i, so you have drum rear brakes, that is your best reason.

AHH YES... i forgot about that... thanks i think that is all the reason i need to do this...

sigh, time to dump more money into this car...
      1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

You will have to source your rear brakes from A to Z 3 318ti or an M Roadster though

Comment

i know this is only to make my life more difficult
          but i can do the rear conversion 1st (so i can have the brakes), without doing the fronts right?

then proceed with the fronts little later?
          1985 BMW 318i.... beige!

previous cars

Comment

You could...but your car would look funny with different wheels...and you would have to carry a 5 lug spare along with your 4 lug spare.
            sigpic
            Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
              You could...but your car would look funny with different wheels...and you would have to carry a 5 lug spare along with your 4 lug spare.
              this. but you dont need to carry either spare if u dont want to, but if u get flats. ur fucked lol
              Originally posted by evandael
              a car is a car. call it a dildo, i'd still drive the hell out of it.

Comment

^ 5 lug swap is nice for the rims and M brakes if you go e36 - it's pricey. I would buy everything new that you can buy new. It will save you money in the end and feel like a new car... You could always get rims where you can't see your brakes and save yourself the trouble - now that Farbin gave you a complex about your rear drum brakes lol.

Comment

WORD OF ADVICE.

Bought the stuff because i could get it cheap with my s52 swap. I tracked at roadcourses and a uncountable number of drift events too. I always regretted going 5-lug for these reasons:

1- Big ass e36 heavy rims with expensive tires. (R-comps of smaller diameter are cheaper and lighter)
                  2- Rubbing at full lock - even with all the right parts and custom drilled lollipops you still rub.. even after 15mm front spacers which was my last resort solution.
                  3- Just everything is more expensive, even track brake pads
                  4- You need all new suspension if you already have something on your e30 ie e36 coilover stuff with e30 top hats so gotta source them separately
                  5- Its a lot of extra work and extra money in general and it makes you slower and sloppier from the heavier rotating mass

Actually regarding 4. I used my e30 suspension, but i had to weld the top section of my e30 struts with the collar nuts and a spacer for the shock within sort of like a regular strut shortening procedure. I even made a thread about that (ie. search ; | )

If i got another chance i would have stayed 4-lug. Put a BBK only on the front and ONLY if you get an s5x swap, turbo or better. If you have less than 200hp just stay OEM brakes. They are more than up for the task, track pads and fluid for the track would probably even handle my s52. EDIT likely the same that happened with my 5-lug, put a Brake Bias valve on the FRONT line to bias power to the rear. This is why i kicked to much ass at the track (use of rear brakes) and i have proof of it ; |

Anyways, after going 5-lug i would highly advise against it.

It does look BEAUTIFUL. I had sets of DSI and DSII e36 rims. Man did the (black) e30 look sexy with that stance like gtfo of my way.
                  Last edited by etxxz; 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM.
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                  X