First on page 6.....

Where's the sacrificial head so I can get this show on the road??!!??! :P
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Been a bit slow the last month or more, as I've encountered issues, diagnosed, ordered part, waited for it to arrive, etc. These are mostly issues in working out the subtle differences in N52 engines. For example, mine being a very late N52 required me to drop the subframe and replace the oil pump with an older version that did not have electronic control of oil pressure. Throttle actuator that not compatible. MAF sensor also different. Anyway, I'll be able to do a write-up soon that will make it a lot easier for the next person. Cooloant hose routing was also a bit difficult primarily due to the shorter and narrower engine bay. There's not a lot of room to change direction and orientation from one point to another. There's also a lot of hoses!

So at this point, engine is in, wired, and ready to run. However, I am working through a problem with the injectors not being activated, and throttle actuator either. Looks like the DME is at fault, so I am awaiting the arrival of another DME. I have been able to get it to run with a little gas in the manifold, so I'm very close.

Comment

I just got back from a little break, so hopefully we'll get this thing running asap!

also, John (ForcedFirebird) has an N52 head to play with now - so maybe we'll see somebody break 300bhp finally. :)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              First on page 6.....

Where's the sacrificial head so I can get this show on the road??!!??! :P
              You have Pete's head?
              Hurry up and give us some data!
              E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
                You have Pete's head?
                Hurry up and give us some data!
                It's a tough one to "hurry" unless someone wanted to drop coin on a prototype head (or orders one and doesn't mind the wait). The head bolt pattern changed so I have to fabricate another bench adapter and valve opening fixture. Then the research starts and I will have hundreds of hours. At that time there will be at least one completely ruined head and tons of data. :)
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by forcedfirebird View Post
                  it's a tough one to "hurry" unless someone wanted to drop coin on a prototype head (or orders one and doesn't mind the wait). The head bolt pattern changed so i have to fabricate another bench adapter and valve opening fixture. Then the research starts and i will have hundreds of hours. At that time there will be at least one completely ruined head and tons of data. :)
                  uuggghhhhhhhhh
                  E92 Msport

Comment

Somebody ask Pete to write this guy a blank check :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wouldn't need a blank check, but some compensation for research would be nice. :p

Usually it's not only destroying a head or two, but many valve jobs with different angles/heights, valve shape and back cuts, but also time. The head has to be bolted to the bench, then tested at several valve lifts, modified, bolted back etc. I have feeling these modern well designed heads will be difficult to find massive gains, but could be wrong. It's not like my old days working domestic iron.

Based on experience, the port shape is already pretty phenomenal, but a milling machine can only do so much. Judging by eye, the chambers have some to be desired, but again, won't know until we get there.

After looking again, not only will a new bench adapter be needed, but the thing is so wide, don't have an efficient valve spring compressor here that will remove them. I have access to a fixture that bolts to the head, but it's a pain to work with when the head is removed (made for in-car repairs).

Fortunately, this is the only head in line for that kind of work. Got a few little things I want to test on the m/s5x, but those have been on the bench plenty.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

So I now have a running driving car! I still have some issues to finalize, like wiring and DME mounting, and the AA headers need better clearance to the CAB. Also need to decide how I want to do oil level check.

Driving impressions: I am very surprised how much lighter the front end feels. Now I am coming from an M54, so I did not expect that. I looked up the weight difference and its about 50lbs lighter than the M54. I can only imagine the contrast with an iron block 6. I have not really pushed the engine too far yet, as I need to get the header interference fixed, but I am very impressed so far. I would love to do a back to back drive between this and an S54.

Comment

Congrats! And I feel like my M54 is light, looking forward to final car weights and hopefully Dyno data.

Comment

Very excited to hear the N52 feels even lighter than the M54!

I swapped to an M42 many years ago to keep the front end light when other options were much more limited. This option seems really appealing now to retain the lighter front end and get a lot more juice!
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I'm excited it's running/driving! We're not done with fine tuning (I think we will need to deal with the ambient temp sensor input), and I don't think I even fully tuned the rest of it yet.

I think the N52 has a lot of potential in the E30 and E36 - it an often overlooked and underappreciated platform.

I'd be really interested in a direct weight comparison between the M42 and the N52.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                I'd be really interested in a direct weight comparison between the M42 and the N52.
                                I have a full m42/g240 takeout from an e30 hanging on the hoist right now, but think those have been weighed/posted before. Don't have corner scale here anymore, but can probably borrow from the neighbors (my postal scale is only 250lb).
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X