N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread & work. Congrats!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      the bed plate wont stop the crank torsionally flexing but the new oil pump drive system will dampen out the vibrations so the pump doesn't see as much of the vibrations
      You are right TV is torsion along the central axis. I was thinking of crank snout movement which is a bending moment. The two are not the same but I was lumping crank deformation all under the same category :(

The bedplate increases rigidity to hold the crank in place better which should help alleviate some of the issues seen on previous BMW I6 engines.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Great thread! What master and reservoir did you use with the E90 booster? You think it would fit with the S54 like it did with your N52?
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I actually used the X3 master cylinder with booster. Its the same as the e90, except the master cylinder line ports face away from the engine like the stock E30 Master cylinder. The e90 master cylinder has the line ports facing towards the intake manifold, which I was originially using, but had to loop the lines over, and so the X3 is a cleaner install. I can't remember if I used the X3 or e90 resevoir with it. They do have slightly different shape and size. Anyway, you can pick up these components very cheap on ebay if you shop well, and the performance is excellent with a big brake kit that I am using. As far as it fitting with an S54, I would be skeptical, but it is smaller in diameter than stock, although deeper. I've got a bunch of boosters including an e90, e30 ix, VW. You could try them out if you like, as you are local.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
            I have some N52 heads, a crank, a block and some MAHLE Motorsport pistons from an old World Challenge team if you guys want to mess with them. I would sell cheap
            Tell me more about this head?
            E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
              Tell me more about this head?
              I asked him about this stuff, but it's all gone. :(

I got the oil pump fitting yesterday thanks! Now maybe I'll be the 5th N52 swap in the word? lol. There's at least one more E36, and 2 E30s in the works.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

I got the oil pump fitting yesterday thanks! Now maybe I'll be the 5th N52 swap in the word? lol. There's at least one more E36, and 2 E30s in the works.
                Reading through the thread, some of those parts were mostly stock.
                E92 Msport

Comment

the pistons weren't :|
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

I need to get in gear... :/
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Update?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Running great and really loving it! The lightness of the internal components of the engine and its ability to quickly rev make it sweet. Also the big power up top....very similar to my s54 in that the power really increases nicely 4.5k and higher. The M54 had similar and awesome torque and power til about 4.5k, but nothing exciting past that. Just wish I could play more in those upper ranges....my suburban area prevents much time up there!

I've also done a couple autocrosses so far, and power is always available in levels far beyond what the car can use. I'll switch to r-comps next year, and see how that works. Also trying to get one of the other drivers who run s52's to take it for a spin. Everyone is running for points right now, so might be a while, but I am interested to see how the lower weight up front feels to them.

Finally, everything is running well. The increased diagnostics that this era of engine has with INPA is nice, and makes for fairly easy diagnostics.

Oh, I still have to get AC running. This might be a pain with the electronics. I'll update once I figure out a solution.

Comment

getting AC to work with the N52 is the same as the M54 or S54 - there are some threads about that.

Also I should have an updated tune for you in the next week or so for a little bit of a bump. not that it really needs it. :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd love to see this on the dyno!

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                              Oh, I still have to get AC running. This might be a pain with the electronics. I'll update once I figure out a solution.
                              I make the CAN boards that will interface with the DME for proper A/C and check engine light.

Comment

I wonder, could you make it trigger the oil level warning somehow? it should be a CAN message of course I don't know which one. :p
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X