How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
    I just picked up an e36 non-M rack from a pick-and-pull ($32.50 after tax, core and entrance, and it was just sitting on the ground w/ the front subframe!). I just want to clear a couple questions.

1) E30 inner and outer tie-rod ends bolt onto the e36 rack

2) No modification is necessary to the knuckle if I slide it up higher.

3) I can stack washers for spacers for the rack (I can modify the actual height of the rack this way too).

4) There is more than one way to put the knuckle onto the rack, so I have to make sure everything is lined up straight first.

I think that's all of my questions. Thanks for all the info!!
    E30 inner and outer tie rods DO bolt to the e36 rack.

I don't know about the knuckle, mine certainly required modifying.

You can stack washers, but the fewer the better. One thick spacer would be nice.

With the rack disconnected, you could spin the wheel and knuckle linkage freely, it will just keep spinning. You'll never connect it with the wheel in the center, especially once you do an alignment - the wheel will definitely be turned to one side. Just unbolt the wheel after all of this is done and bolt it in straight. It's on a fine splined shaft just like the rest of the linkage.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
      Just put my 95 M3 rack in. Put 3 head washers on each side. No need to modify the linkage, slid the steering column knuckle up, gave me plenty of clearance, easy as pie (of course, I have no engine... lol)

A few mill clearance on both ends of the linkage:

3 head washer spacers, and installed view:

When you fit the linkage like this what do you do about the bottom pinch bolt no longer lining up with the groove in the splined shaft? Do you have to fit a smaller bolt?

Comment

^^ that's what i did... although the slit was real close so i'm sure its possible to make it all align properly.
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
          ^^ that's what i did... although the slit was real close so i'm sure its possible to make it all align properly.
          Thanks. I guess if it's close then it might be possible to use a dremel and grind the splines back where the bolt goes through to make a groove for the bolt to sit in.

Comment

don't. get a smaller bolt at home depot for $2 with a nut. add washers if you must and put it out. no biggie...even with no bolt there, its not gonna go anywhere just so you know...personal experience... not gonna mention what i did in fear of massive flaming.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Just for clarification, the only mod that needs to be done to run an e36 rack on a airbag car is cutting the firewall, correct?

Comment

robert when can I drive up and you can help me install a bunch a crap hehe

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                  robert when can I drive up and you can help me install a bunch a crap hehe
                  Gimme a 2 week notice.. it will cost you some tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                    Gimme a 2 week notice.. it will cost you some tacos and BEERS.

FIXED !! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                      Gimme a 2 week notice.. it will cost you some tacos.
                      100% done deal! You like taco bell and that pee you were drinking at the rally?

I am ummmm stock piling parts...

Axles
                      Front Assemblies with Sport Package Shocks
                      Front Brakes - Pads/Rotors
                      Rear Shocks
                      Rear Springs
                      Diff Bushing
                      Sway Bar linkage rebuild

I think I have some other stuff too...

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                        100% done deal! You like taco bell and that pee you were drinking at the rally?

I am ummmm stock piling parts...

Axles
                        Front Assemblies with Sport Package Shocks
                        Front Brakes - Pads/Rotors
                        Rear Shocks
                        Rear Springs
                        Diff Bushing
                        Sway Bar linkage rebuild

I think I have some other stuff too...

Hell let me know when this will happen and I will run over and help out wrench on it too... I know about doing the suspension and could use the knowledge of some of the other things you want to do. I will even buy my own tacos and beers ..... LOL

Comment

Ditto what Wes said(although I don't need knowledge but could lend a hand), heck if you didn't want to travel so far you can do all the work at my place.
                          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Haha sweet

well I will PM you guys when the time comes

I hope to knock some of it out and never messed with the e30 :) Only the M3 and love having inside tips!

Comment

I finished installing my rack today. For some reason my srs light is now blinking though. I have no idea what caused. I did unbolt the knee bolster to put the piece of the steering column that goes from the rack to the big bolt under the dash because it fell out during the installation. I might have accidentally tripped something I guess.

Comment

Are you sure you didn't diconnect something in the process and forget to reconnect it?

Comment

Working...
                                X