How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
    What? You didn't need to remove the rubber uni? Can you notice any difference without the uni?
    Pics of install, this will be happening to my 84' shortly :)
    Looking at it, I dont think I had to remove it. I probably have an inch or so of the steering column nub going through my joint where before it probably had around 1.5 inches of the splined shaft going through it. I still dont have my front end completely assembled. I just finished up painting my struts last night and the weather has not been co-operating so that I can finish this project up. I know there is going to be a difference in steering feel and vibration but I doubt that it will be noticeable.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

I'm in the process of removing the steering knuckle from eaither the steering column spline or the steering rack itself. Its off my parts car, I'm just looking to use the steering knuckle so I can modify it from my other car.

Any advice as to how to get this bugger off? I've been trying to wedge in a scewdriver with a few block of wood for leverage, but it seems like the spline is moving with the kuckle, so its not comming off. I tried just yanking on the steering rack itself and that isn't working eaither. I need this off today!!

I have the subframe off right now too, so I have a little more room to work with.. anything?

thanks
      Jon

Comment

If wasnt easy to remove my knuckle either but I used a large flat bladed screw driver to pry and then whacked it a few times with a BFH

Comment

As I remember there is a bolt that you need to loosen that holds the knuckle on.
          Originally posted by KingB
          Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HST View Post
            As I remember there is a bolt that you need to loosen that holds the knuckle on.
            Right there is a little bolt that helps clamp it on, but in all honesty that bolt isnt even needed the fit is so tight. And thats what he was getting at. Even wedging something inbetween the split to try and pry it open that knuck/uv joint section was really on there.

Comment

I just got my e36 rack and have one question that I havent seen 100% confirmed while looking through all the pages unless I missed it.

Can you still use the E30 HP hose or are do you have to get the e36 HP hose?

Other than that, great write up!

Comment

You can use the E30 hoses, I waited until I had everything in place and I think I had to open the bend up or straighten the steering rack end probably 15-20 degrees and it fit just fine.

Comment

Awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear. Great, now just to find a good weekend to put it in. Thanks for info.

Comment

Is there a DIY somewhere on Power Steering pump replacement?
                    1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
                    1986 M635Csi - For the best days

Comment

Originally posted by iXBeater View Post
                      Is there a DIY somewhere on Power Steering pump replacement?
                      You may not need to replace your pump. As I found out that the power steering resivor has a filter in it that is supposed to be replaced at the 75k service and its the same part number for an E30 as its is for an E36 and probably E46. But replacing that and the fluid and I dont have any power steering pump problems anymore. Mine was wanting to seize at half turn or so before full lock.

But if you want to replace it heres what you do:
                      Remove the banjo bolt that is attached to the soft line coming off the power steering pump going to the resivor. I believe this was a 17mmor 19mm head on the banjo bolt. Make sure you have a pan there to catch all of the fluid that is going to come out of the hose. If you have turkey baster that has designated for auto use you could use that the extract most of the fluid out of the resivor and saving you from making a huge mess of things. But next you want to remove the high pressure power steering line that goes the steering rack and take time to let the fluid drain from the hose. You dont need to remember which hose goes where because one is bigger than the other so you cant get them confused.
                      Next is unbolting it you should have a 19mm nut on an adjuster, and two 13mm nuts on a the bottom bracket. Loosen and remove them. The PS pump should be free now and you there wont be any tension on the belt. Now is a good time to replace the belt if its more than 3 years old, the belt is only like $5. You need to run by the dealer or local auto parts store and pick up new washers for your banjo bolts. Otherwise install is the same and removal. Its almost 4am so I am sorry if I missed anything, let me know if you get mixed up anywhere and I will touch on it some more.

edit:I will take some pictures and we can create another write up, that hopefully will get a sticky :)

Comment

Alright, I just bought a rack from a 96 m3. it's going in to my SRS-equipped vert this weekend, I hope it's not too much trouble! After reading all 15 pages, it seems like airbag cars are very straitforward, but i am a bit worried about having to cut the firewall Hopefully that won't be that case.

Comment

You wont have any problems, this was one of the easier things I have done to my car.

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post
                            You need to run by the dealer or local auto parts store and pick up new washers for your banjo bolts.
                            Let's say I didn't do this, would this cause my p.steering fluid to leak like crazy?

Or, how about this, if I'm leaking PS fluid but it drips on the driveway further back from the PS pump, what else could it be coming from?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by buzdof View Post
                              Let's say I didn't do this, would this cause my p.steering fluid to leak like crazy?

Or, how about this, if I'm leaking PS fluid but it drips on the driveway further back from the PS pump, what else could it be coming from?

Thanks!
                              Your steering rack is most likely the cause of the leak. Cut the inner clamps off of your tie rod boots and see if there is any fluid in them, this will confirm that your steering rack is leaking. Others might say that just removing the power steering belt you will be able to tell if its the rack or not. But if you have xxx amount of fluid in your tie rod boots then its probably going to keep leaking out regardless of removing the belt. Or it might be the hose clamps that are the bottom of your power steering resivior.

If you did not replace the crush washer you are taking a chance that it might leak again. They probably are not more than .10c each.

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post
                                Your steering rack is most likely the cause of the leak. Cut the inner clamps off of your tie rod boots and see if there is any fluid in them, this will confirm that your steering rack is leaking. Others might say that just removing the power steering belt you will be able to tell if its the rack or not. But if you have xxx amount of fluid in your tie rod boots then its probably going to keep leaking out regardless of removing the belt. Or it might be the hose clamps that are the bottom of your power steering resivior.

If you did not replace the crush washer you are taking a chance that it might leak again. They probably are not more than .10c each.
                                So if there is fluid in them, that means the rack is leaking?

Thanks for the info, I'll stop by the dealer and pick up a couple of washers, I didn't know I needed them to begin with!

Comment

Working...
                                X