How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by free View Post
    I just finished the swap without spacing the knuckle. I just cut away some of the sound insulation from the firewall where the column comes out. Then I slide the knuckle on further. I also slid it down further on the shaft coming from the rack. I took the bolt out, slid the knuckle down as far as I could without creating any binding, then smacked the bolt through and tightened it up. I did have to take a little metal out of the upper knuckle because of the slightly greater angle, but it sounds like everyone has had to do that.
    The upper shaft can only go so far until it starts to interfere with the upper u-joint. The reason you had to smack the bolt through the lower one is because the bolt is supposed to sit in the groove on the lower shaft. What you have done now by smacking the crap out of the bolt to get it to go through is jack up the splines on the shaft. In the end this may work out for you but I would not recommend this as the best solution to the problem.
    sigpic
    '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

I have plenty of room/clearance from the shaft. The only binding is in the knuckle because of the increased angle.

I understand how the knuckle goes together. But I think sliding the knuckle further onto the shaft on both ends is a better solution than creating spacers. It was easier, I know that. And I might have some trouble with the splines on the lower shaft when I am taking it apart, but I am not worried about since i can pull it off the upper shaft to remove the rack. Then I am sure I can get the knuckle off and on again if I have it out of the car. The bolt went through easy enough that none of the threads on the bolt were damaged.

** update **

Took a little metal out of the upper knuckle and everything is working great. Fantastic upgrade. The shaft is not a problem at all on the upper knuckle, btw. It is the knuckle itself binding. So spacers wouldn't have made a difference at all.
      Last edited by free; 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I love the ingenuity going into to this mod to make it better. Sorry its taken me so long to catch up.

Comment

just cut the shaft coming out of the firewall. its the easiest way
          First: 1984 318i
          Second: 1987 325
          Third: 1987 325is
          Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

I could use any steering rack from any e36 right? 4 door or 2 door?

Comment

idk if u guys said it earlier in the threat (didnt read the whole thing) but y would u want to use a e36 steering rack on the e30? i have a 91 318i and my steering rack is leaking 1 quart of atf in a week lol so i need to change my rack.
              is the e36 rack better and how?
              87 325ic sold
              91 318i sold
              95 ///M3 sold
              02 325xi manual

Comment

the steering ratio is alot better, less bus like turning ability.

e30 - 4:1 lock to lock
                e36 - 3.0 to 3.2:1 lock to lock

89 Alpine White e30 325i

Comment

Well, I got mine done. I ended up using washers for the spacers in the steering knuckle. It doesn't flex at all. I used 5/16th washers and drilled them out (20 of them...individually, cause I couldn't find spacers in time) to 13/32".

I spent like 2 hours trying to dremel and grind out the rivets on the steering knuckle. That metal killed a lot of bits without getting smaller. I ended up using a sawzall to cut the rivets in half (where the spacers will go) then punched the rivets out. That ended up taking about 5 minutes total.

RobertK, could you edit the original post and add in some of the tips and other info that people have added? That way people in the future won't have to read through 20+ pages of posts to find them (then decide to skip through it and ask the same questions, adding to the post count.)
                  '07 Female Miniature Dachshund, Long Hair Edition, Red.
                  Mods so far: Reproduction delete kit, biweekly nail shortening.
                  (Pics hopefully coming soon)

Comment

z3 1.8 rack is what i have

G 28 RP 2 B 11
                    1 092 611
                    6 G08B2M0003

are the numbers on the tag

Comment

I was thinking last night, is this going to put enough stress on the PS pump to possibly blow it?
                      '07 Female Miniature Dachshund, Long Hair Edition, Red.
                      Mods so far: Reproduction delete kit, biweekly nail shortening.
                      (Pics hopefully coming soon)

Comment

hey great write up! i did this and im really happy with it. my only gripe is that i cant get my tie rod end links tightened back up! i got like a 1/2 in of slop in them! the whole tie rod joint just spins!
                        any advice?
                        Live Fast. Drive Faster.

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... :)
                        You wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences :(

Comment

make sure there is no grease on it and put a jack under it to push it up into the spindle real tight
                          First: 1984 318i
                          Second: 1987 325
                          Third: 1987 325is
                          Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

Originally posted by Spinning Tires View Post
                            make sure there is no grease on it and put a jack under it to push it up into the spindle real tight
                            okay. good call. thanks
                            Live Fast. Drive Faster.

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... :)
                            You wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences :(

Comment

Since the steering rack is different on a 91 airbag 325, is this steering rack still possible to swap?

Comment

Originally posted by aznbo187 View Post
                                Since the steering rack is different on a 91 airbag 325, is this steering rack still possible to swap?
                                Hmm. I wasn't aware the '91 was different from the rest. But, I've got a '99 M3 rack I had planned on putting in this weekend, I guess I'll find out if anything is different!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X