X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZF 4HP22 Transmission 'Clunking' into D or R

Hi guys,
    here's the long story short:
    Originally: 1991 E34 535i 3.4L with ZF 4HP22 automatic Transmission (engine was shot, tranny was excellent)
    We did an engine/tranny swap using an E32 (1988 735i) 3.4L, also having a ZF 4HP22 transmission. I had never tried either engine or transmission

We finished the swap late last fall and the car sat all winter. I started getting it into shape this week. The engine sounds excellent. The transmission was clunking into Drive and Reverse. Like a hard 'bang', one shot, after that it was fine. I suspected the ATF was (partially?) at fault. It looked finished, so I did a fluid/filter replacement. The fluid looked like chocolate milk and smelled burnt. I cleaned out the bottom of the sump pan - It had a good amount of swamp goop at the bottom and around the magnets. After the servicing, the trans is still clunking into gear but I had the car on stands and the wheels turn well, without any weezing or other noises from tranny. I used the right fluid and amounts as per Bentley Service Manual. I haven't driven it out of the driveway.

Is there a chance that the fluid, when driven and circulating through the transmission, could clear out the remaining junk and become (semi) smooth again? Or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by Rockabilly_Rebel; 05-11-2018, 05:01 AM.

Does it still 'clunk' after the car is warm? There could be more of the dirty fluid circulating, but I suppose it would not be a great amount.

My first guess would be the solenoids..
    Transaction Feedback
    Various E30 Parts for Sale!
    Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
    -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
    -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

I first swapped out the Idle Control Valve b/c the idle was too high. It helped. Went for a quick drive with it. It was clunking less, but needed to hit 5000rpm to upshift into 3rd. It would downshift hard into 2nd and first. We ended up getting the Trans Program and limped home in 3rd (I think). I drained the fluid a second time and it was like dark chocolate milk also. Upon reinstall, I busted a swamp/pan bolt. So, I'll fix that issue. Then, I'll continue with the other issue. (notice that one can easily swap the word 'issue' with 'shit' and the sentence remains about the same.) Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hmm, thats funny cause that same exact thing happened to me lol. After the first change, i used 'Seafoam Trans Tune' and left it in for a hundred miles before changing it again. Helped a little bit..i think..

I attached a picture of the troubleshooting graph from the haynes manual pertaining to the 4hp22.

Transaction Feedback
        Various E30 Parts for Sale!
        Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
        -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
        -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScottSneed View Post
          Hmm, thats funny cause that same exact thing happened to me lol. After the first change, i used 'Seafoam Trans Tune' and left it in for a hundred miles before changing it again. Helped a little bit..i think..

I attached a picture of the troubleshooting graph from the haynes manual pertaining to the 4hp22.

Thanks Bro! Here's where I'm at now: I got the busted bolt outta there. I was expecting much harder work but it took about 5 minutes to get out. Then I was expecting to have to order the bolts from Egypt but my helpful buddy at NAPA had the same bolts, same length, same thread in stronger grade for $3 ----> SOLD!!!:up::up::up:
          Put it back together, then I filled the fluid up and I'm at the same point. Time for a tranny drop!
          Last edited by Rockabilly_Rebel; 05-17-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottSneed View Post

From this list, it would point to electronics problems. For starters...
            Thanks for posting it!

Comment

Working...
            X