No announcement yet.

3RD brake light wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I bought a Zender spoiler with third brake light that came off an Ix for my Ix, now unlike the convertibles I'm sure I'm going to have to do more to get this working. Mine is similar as the one mentioned above with a two wired wing. Does anyone have experience adding third light to a car without origional third light? It came off an ix but not sure on how to do it properly and trying to prevent headaches before install.

Comment

I have added third brake lights to several cars that came without - some 2002s and early E28s. No check panel monitoring, but no warnings either! It's not that hard to verify all tail light functions -- look in your rear view mirror after backing into a space in front of a store with glass front. Your lights reflect off the store window, you see the reflection. Done.

Your 89 came with 3 brake lights, so why not use the wiring from the stock third brake, getting the benefit of the check panel monitoring?

I would tap the two wires from the circuit board that now go to the stock lamp, extending and connecting them instead to the wing light wires. I like to solder and insulate everything with heat shrink tube, to avoid that nasty smell when power is accidentally grounded ... no, the fuse would blow first.

Are you planning on removing the stock center brake light assembly or leaving it there?
      Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
      Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
      Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

8-1/2 year bump for a great fix.
        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

1 1/2 year bump. I finally have check free panel! Hallelujah!

Last edited by Mike36; 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Check panel brake light FIX !!

Thank you for that tip , fixed problem check panel light for brakes that would not go out , thanks !

Comment

I did that too but found that the 3rd light comes on dimly without the pedal being pressed. It comes on fully bright with the pedal. Not a problem IMO, just wasn't expecting it.

Comment

Working...
              X