s50 regrind camshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    The stock lifters DO NOT take up the slack necessary to use a reground cam. semi colon.
    Depends. On Pasha's regrinds which were Riot Racing, his lifters were maxing out so you are right there. However I have regrinds from BimmerHeads and the lifters are not even close to maxing out. It seems Riot Racing just takes way too much off the base circle. I was dumb and didn't measure before sending my cams out so I don't know how much BimmerHeads took off.
    -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
      Depends. On Pasha's regrinds which were Riot Racing, his lifters were maxing out so you are right there. However I have regrinds from BimmerHeads and the lifters are not even close to maxing out. It seems Riot Racing just takes way too much off the base circle. I was dumb and didn't measure before sending my cams out so I don't know how much BimmerHeads took off.
      Wasn't aware they did regrinds so yes I was talking directly about RRs though I've seen others with similar base circle cuts that don't work.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

when I asked bimmerheads about M5x regrinds, I received no response, so I assumed they didn't do them.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
          Wasn't aware they did regrinds so yes I was talking directly about RRs though I've seen others with similar base circle cuts that don't work.
          Pulling this up from the dead. I rarely see anyone talk about Riot Racing reground cams these days, but found a set for sale locally. Since my s52 cams are currently out I figured it would be an easy upgrade. Seeing a prolific tuner claim that the HLAs can adjust for the material removed from the base circle is obviously concerning!

Thoughts?
          2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
          1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
          1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
            Pulling this up from the dead. I rarely see anyone talk about Riot Racing reground cams these days, but found a set for sale locally. Since my s52 cams are currently out I figured it would be an easy upgrade. Seeing a prolific tuner claim that the HLAs can adjust for the material removed from the base circle is obviously concerning!

Thoughts?
            If the regrind has been done correctly, the lifters can compensate base circle change easily. But the amount of base circle that can be removed is not much. About 1mm. So if the reground cams are advertised to have something like 11mm or more, lift, it's too much and you need to grind the oil feed holes in lifter trays at least.

Comment

I've been told by a couple reputable cam dudes that these cams don't take well to regrinds because they can't get a decent weld on account of being hollow. Maybe some Eddy current/Faraday nonsense?

Despite that, (years ago) I installed a set of regrinds that were based on then unavailable sunbelt race cams on an S52. The vanos had to be shimmed and I think the springs and retainers were swapped out. With a custom tune and turned up to 7200(iirc) it made 292 rwhp on a dynojet.

Once race later upon inspection, the cam lobes were starting to wipe. womp womp.

Comment

Welding the cam lobes is no go. It messes up the hardening of the cam. Regular regrind is fine if not too much material is taken off the base circle.

Comment

ah my bad. I had/have welding and regrinding linked in my mind for whatever reason. Probably in part due to that project; those cams were quite aggressive.

Comment

Working...
                  X