M10 Timing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 Timing issues

Due to the lack of not having a repair manual I am relying on alldata for my information.

I have a 1984 bmw 318i, 3 years ago I went around a corner and my battery ran into my distributor killing my car (bent the distributor rod).

I soon after bought a new distributor but the lack on timing information I couldnt get it right.

I would set my crank pulley mark to the dowel and would check the mark on the flywheel to determine TDC. I then would run my spark plugs from the very top 1-3-4-2. if i try to start my car at this point she basically doesnt wanna crank... i advance the timing slightly and she cranks over but isnt fully happy..

I eventually get her running and shes running at idle which made me happy.. got her up to operating temps. I then decided I would pull the vacuum advance but to not let it choke itself out id clamp off the vacuum line.

well... as soon as i disconnected the line she sputtered and died..

I thought no big deal ill just fire her right back up since it was timed enough to idle..

well now when i try to turn it over it puffs white smoke out my intake..
    and pops..

I assumed i was close enough because she was idling that there is no way I was that far out.. but now that i start it i feel like i am.. but why would it have idled but now wants to blow white smoke out the intake... im at a loss with this and about to light it on fire haha...

picture of my car for fun:

buy a timing light.

set it to tdc #1, then try aligning
    the rotor with the line on the distributor,
    where the cap sits.
    If there's no line, set the rotor to align with the cap tower for #1,
    then look to see if the reluctor arms underneath are aligned, and make them so.

That'll start, especially if you advance it a bit, then a bit more once it catches.

Then use your timing light to get the bb visible in the window on the bellhousing.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Make sure you did not blow any vacuum hoses off when cranking. Did it backfire at all?

Comment

Working...
      X