Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M54 intake manifold on m52 with working DISA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54 intake manifold on m52 with working DISA?

I have been thinking about this a bit. Kind of a pet project for me to think on.

Could I put a M54 manifold on a m52 (non-tu) and have the DISA working as intended? Seems to me that you could get the better torque of a M54 on a m52 without sacrificing the top end horsepower.
    I know that the M54 manifold will physically fit on the m52 head. I also know that you can fit a m50 TB on it with an adapter.

My thought is that I could use the m52 muffler flap signal to actuate the DISA.

Tell me why my crazy idea won't work so that I can stop thinking about it.

Yes you can do that. I'm planning to do the same. Of course you need to edit the muffler flap maps on the ecu to make that work properly.

Comment

Aren't the muffler flap and the DISA in a pretty similar map already? The DISA turns off at 3750 rpm and if I remember correctly the muffler flap opens at ~4000 rpm.

Also how were you planning to do the idle control valve? To use the m50 or m52 one you would have to find a proper hole for it. My thought on it was to use the stock m54 one by using a dremel tool to open a channel between the m54 ICV holes and the main intake runners.

Comment

Originally posted by Daeldalus View Post
        Aren't the muffler flap and the DISA in a pretty similar map already? The DISA turns off at 3750 rpm and if I remember correctly the muffler flap opens at ~4000 rpm.

Also how were you planning to do the idle control valve? To use the m50 or m52 one you would have to find a proper hole for it. My thought on it was to use the stock m54 one by using a dremel tool to open a channel between the m54 ICV holes and the main intake runners.
        Well you tell:

Left is muffler flap map and three on the right are disa maps from m52tub28.

The m52 and m54 ICV is same. M50 also uses pretty much same valve. That is not a problem. Yeah I have drilled holes from the idle runners to main runners close to head. Should be fine.

How I would edit the muffler flap map.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pazi88; 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

On the muffler flap map. Red means 12v blue means 0v? What does green mean on the original map?

Comment

On the muffler flap map. Red means 12v blue means 0v? What does green mean on the original map?
            Yeah pretty much. It's pwm output and those values are roughly pwm percentages.

Comment

What are you using to access and change those maps?

Also after a bit more looking around, it seems that the m54b30 manifold is the only one worth the effort to work with.

Comment

What are you using to access and change those maps?

Comment

Could also change the logic on the muffler flap map to use load as the x axis instead of ECT.

Or you could use the EVAP purge valve map to control DISA
                  RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

What does the purge valve map look like?

Comment

What does the purge valve map look like?
                      Completely different. But it has load axis, instead of temp so after editing it to match disa map on ms42/3 it would probaply be better.

Comment

How hard would it be to change the muffler flap map to use load? I would like to keep my purge operable.

How would you change the map referencing load? Would it just turn off sooner with more load?

Comment

Did anyone try this? I'm curious what the effect is on low-end torque. Maybe the M52TU intake would be best since it has a little longer runners (if low-end is the goal).

Edit: So I have an M52TU manifold here and an M52 one and the long runners are about the same, so I don't think it would improve the low-end. However, it should improve the top-end a little compared to an M52 manifold, but not as much as an M50 manifold. So I guess the M52TU or M54 manifold could be used if you wanted some extra top-end without sacrificing the bottom-end.
                          Last edited by Andrew325is; 03-16-2024, 03:55 PM.
                          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Working...
                          X