No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get your opinions on what needs to be done here to pass... Everything was going good And I thought I was going to get the thumbs up, but it didn't happen

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

bump. this is the last freaking thing to have another BAR legal car
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Did the car sit before it got smogged?

Looks like the cat just wasn't hot enough.
        87 325i Coupe - Sold
        95 M3 Track rat - Sold
        87 325i Vert - Sold
        87 325is S52 swap - Sold
        99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
        03 525i Touring - Current
        03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
        88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

I drove like a maniac before I got there to make sure the cat was hot, but the car was waiting for maybe an hour max. When it was my turn I did drive the car around a little, but it was low speeds, and only a few minutes.

Im wondering if that alone is the problem. He did the 15 mph test first and it was clean... I dunno
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Age of catalytic converter? Miles?

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Came off a S50 car, so Im going to say its 20 years old haha. Miles were listed as 118k on the S50 car, Ive added 36k to that so were talking 154k total give or take a few miles
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

You need a cat. Same thing on my car. Put on a magnaflow cat and all was well. Be aware though, magnaflow lists a legit s50 cat as two single pipe cats. So if you're single exhaust it could get complicated. My "m50" is using a dual in-dual out cat legal for a 95 325i.

Comment

My exhaust setup is M50 manifolds, S50 downpipe then M20B25 dual exhaust. If I get the magnaflow, can I just hack it into my setup?

This is the one that came up?

MagnaFlow manufactures the best exhaust systems, mufflers, pipes and catalytic converters; now being sold directly from our website! We proudly manufacture products in the USA using premium components and the latest technology. Voted 2017 SEMA Manufacturer of the Year!
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

What are you doing for a chip?

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

It's a Turner motorsports chip. The chip is meant for a S50 with the 21.5 pink injectors. I chose this one because it was the closest off-the-shelf tune that was closest to my setup.

I am sure eventually I'll need a custom tune, but for now I'm trying to get this part done
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        It's a Turner motorsports chip. The chip is meant for a S50 with the 21.5 pink injectors. I chose this one because it was the closest off-the-shelf tune that was closest to my setup.

I am sure eventually I'll need a custom tune, but for now I'm trying to get this part done
                        That's your problem right there.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Put in a Canadian cluster. Then the 25mph test turns into a 15mph test, the 15 a 9, and the car passes, unusually clean, every time.

:)
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                            Put in a Canadian cluster. Then the 25mph test turns into a 15mph test, the 15 a 9, and the car passes, unusually clean, every time.

That would actually be interesting... using some sort of speedo modifier to accomplish this - if they don't actually measure wheel speed (which I imagine they do)
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                              That's your problem right there.
                              Im just trying to figure out if a different tune will solve the problem, or new cats. A new custom tune will happen no matter what, but THAT tune is for performance, not emissions.

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              That would actually be interesting... using some sort of speedo modifier to accomplish this - if they don't actually measure wheel speed (which I imagine they do)
                              No, it is on a wheel dyno so wheel speed is measured, no funny games with the BMW speedo
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Ninja Edit. I shouldnt write that in black and white. EPA come kick my ass.

Check Us out on Facebook
                                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                                X