Suspension Setup for Daily Driving on Horrible Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Setup for Daily Driving on Horrible Roads

Where I live the roads are not friendly to low cars. I've already cracked an oil pan and I scrape all over the place. The previous owner dropped it pretty low and I'm interested in bringing it back to a stock (or maybe higher) ride height. I want to be able to handle the occasional pot hole instead of being terrified by it.

This is a daily driven '90 325is. It's also on 17's (too big in my opinion; interested in going back to stock weaves). I like to zip around but it won't be seeing the track any time soon.

Can anyone recommend a good suspension recipe for me? Let me know if you need any more info on the current setup. I'm a beginner so go easy on me!

Originally posted by badguise View Post
    Where I live the roads are not friendly to low cars. I've already cracked an oil pan and I scrape all over the place. The previous owner dropped it pretty low and I'm interested in bringing it back to a stock (or maybe higher) ride height. I want to be able to handle the occasional pot hole instead of being terrified by it.

This is a daily driven '90 325is. It's also on 17's (too big in my opinion; interested in going back to stock weaves). I like to zip around but it won't be seeing the track any time soon.

Can anyone recommend a good suspension recipe for me? Let me know if you need any more info on the current setup. I'm a beginner so go easy on me!
    Peeps seem to recommend H&R sport springs + Bilstein on all four corners, if you don't want low. Also, invest in a skid plate! ;)
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

H&R sports are great, and paired with Bilsteins is a good combo. I went with Koni's yellows instead of Bilsteins though because they are adjustable so you can soften and harden them to your liking / driving conditions.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

H&R Sports + Koni SAs + OEM bushings everywhere + tires with a sidewall aspect of >= 50.

/thread
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I just put some koni yellow adjustables in the other week. keep in mind the adjustment only effects rebound, doesn't do anything to compression.

I'm quite impressed with their comfort even on a fairly highish setting. I am using them with king springs, which are about twice as stiff as standard. I went with bilstein over koni as mine is just a fun street car so i wanted to option to dial down the damping if required.

What i will say is that adjusting the rear shocks is kind of annoying (80 series "off car adjustment"). jack up car, wheels off etc. I can do both rears in about 20mins, but the fronts adjust on the top so can adjust in seconds.

I haven't got any real experience with bilstein but being mono tube they will inherently be a bit harsher in the low speed section. Which seems to match with the internet opinions on bilstein vs koni discussions.

Comment

The roads here in seattle suck.. BC racing coilovers and 205/45r16 tires don't really help.

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
              The roads here in seattle suck.. BC racing coilovers and 205/45r16 tires don't really help.
              Looking at getting bc coilovers myself, what spring rates you go with? Also would love to know how the setup is in terms of handling and ride quality.

Comment

If the goal is rough road comfort, stock Sachs, or cheap KYB shocks.

H&R Sport springs are too low, IMO. My favorite setup is E30 M3 springs, but those are hard to get these days.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Why is everyone suggesting H&R sports when the guy wants stock ride height? They advertise 1.25" drop. All OE stuff would be the easiest solution, there are no aftermarket springs that I am aware of which offer a stock ride height. A more complex but imo the best solution would be some DIY front coilovers that use 2.5" springs and adjustable perches front and rear. That would give you a good choice of rates and heights and you could set it where you want it. You could easily double the stock spring rates with such a setup and retain a comfortable ride, stock springs are super soft.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

I made the case for H&R Sports because they are the best OEM+ option to reach a reasonable compromise between ridiculous ride height and ridiculously harsh ride.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks for all the info, folks. And sorry I haven't kept up with the thread, got caught up in some other stuff since I posted.

I feel like H&R Sports might still be too low, so I'm leaning towards stock at the moment. Real shame about the roads in New Orleans. I guess when your city is constantly sinking it makes for bad pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by badguise View Post
                        Thanks for all the info, folks. And sorry I haven't kept up with the thread, got caught up in some other stuff since I posted.

I feel like H&R Sports might still be too low, so I'm leaning towards stock at the moment. Real shame about the roads in New Orleans. I guess when your city is constantly sinking it makes for bad pavement.
                        KYB or Sachs and stock springs will definitely give you the greatest comfort.
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

You will also increase ride quality, by keeping a 65 or taller tire sidewall. That's if you back to stock suspension and wheel size., even a 15 inch wheel will feel good with a taller tire.
                          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I have some hardly used KYB rear shocks for sale. Send me a message if you're interested.
                            Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                              My favorite setup is E30 M3 springs, but those are hard to get these days.
                              I can sell you my unused set if you need. I use h&r sport so have no need for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X