Net Neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    And here's the point. Get the fed's to regulate all this and the innovation will cease.
    Nobody wants them to regulate EVERYTHING. Net Neutrality talks to keeping the telecoms from being the gate keepers of everything we use on the internet. They are quadruple dipping charging the consumer to receive data, rent a modem, the creator to send the data, and again the consumer in taxes. The last being ironic in that they were title 2 taxes collected, specifically, to rollout a fiber network by 2005ish. Since they no longer have title 2 classification, and never built the infrastructure they promised, maybe they should be required to return all the title 2 taxes they collected to the consumers. That sounds logical to me. But I can guess what the chances of that ever happening would be...

You have not substantiated, or even posed a position, as to how net neutrality would stifle innovation or infrastructure spending. The reality, and this is provable by looking at the last 20 years, is that the ISP's have intentionally stifled innovation and halted progress in order to maximize profits by not spending money competing. And they are able to do that because they have cut out service areas for themselves to avoid overlap. A small percentage of the population has more than 2 choices for an ISP. And a much smaller percentage has 3. So the consumer is held hostage... and can not exercise his/her spending power to spur innovation through competition.

As I have always said, I am all for capitalism and the free market. But we don't have that, and won't ever have it without some sort of guidelines as to how the ISP's can operate. You can call it regulation if you like, I call it leveling the playing field to allow development and new-comers. You know, that whole anti-trust law thing we used to believe in to go along with our capitalism.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

we need a 21st century Teddy Roosevelt. CYBERMOOSE PARTY!

Comment

^

We have those in power by and large now and just had 8 years of it in the OVAL hence all the "intervention" . TR's Bull Moose party is the modern "Progressive" no matter the "traditional" party affiliation on the ballot. TR may have been an R but was considered a near "radical reformer" with in the party and was that factions leader and most notable member. TR was a Great Great man and one I highly respect, but not for his political affiliation and his tenure as POTUS for the most part.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
        X