Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to put it into first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
    light throttle, ease the clutch has worked for me. between that and not downshifting on every stop (just put it in neutral and use the brakes) the original clutch on my first e30 went to 240,000 miles and wasnt slipping yet when i sold the car.
    I downshift/engine break often. But I will use light breaking in conjunction with the clutch. Should I not be doing this? I try to rev match the best I can so as to not be too hard on the clutch.
    1988 325is

Comment

I downshift all the time, because racecar. Although I would rather change brake pads than a clutch.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        I downshift all the time, because racecar. Although I would rather change brake pads than a clutch.
        I think everyone downshifts all the time

But as long as you rev match correctly, the clutch sees little additional wear.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by Grishnackh View Post
          I downshift/engine break often. But I will use light breaking in conjunction with the clutch. Should I not be doing this? I try to rev match the best I can so as to not be too hard on the clutch.
          "brake"

Carry on.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            "brake"

Carry on.
            Haha, thanks for catching that. I know how to spell it properly, I swear. Despite misspelling it twice in a row.
            1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              I think everyone downshifts all the time

But as long as you rev match correctly, the clutch sees little additional wear.
              I was more specifically talking about when coming to a stop. Downshift/engine brake. Wasn't even thinking about spirited driving, but that kind of just happens and isn't thought about.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                I was more specifically talking about when coming to a stop. Downshift/engine brake. Wasn't even thinking about spirited driving, but that kind of just happens and isn't thought about.
                Just joshin' ya. :)

I usually just pop it into neutral as well if I know I'll be coming to a complete stop.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                  How does one do a proper burnout?
                  R3v to r3vlimiter, quickly release clutch, hear chirp of tire.

Comment

Again I got over 120K out of a BMW clutch downshifting for years. They aren't that fragile.
                    Summer '85 E24 635csi Winter '88 E30 325iX, I lose 25% of my hp before I even turn the key.

Comment

I got over 150 on mine. I was the 3rd owner and didn't granny it either.
                      Only replaced b/c the throw out bearing/slave was acting funny. Still a fair amount of material was left
                      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I usually just put it in "D" and go.

But no really, I thought this was a discussion of putting it into first. I habitually go from neutral, second, then slip it into first.....instead of just putting it from neutral into first.

I like to tantalize the tranny before going all in.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                          I usually just put it in "D" and go.

But no really, I thought this was a discussion of putting it into first. I habitually go from neutral, second, then slip it into first.....instead of just putting it from neutral into first.

I like to tantalize the tranny before going all in.
                          I feel like nobody else noticed....

Comment

To the left and down. 265 dogleg yeah baby!
                            Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
                            2000 M5 Winter beater
                            1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
                            1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                              I feel like nobody else noticed....
                              Srsly....the vagification of r3v. :(
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by clarkson View Post
                                To the left and down. 265 dogleg yeah baby!
                                lulzzzz this was awesome
                                sigpic
                                @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                                Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Working...
                                X