E30 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 won't start

Sorry but here's another "won't start" thread. 92 325i MTech Appearance car. Was running fine. Filled the tank. After about 20 minutes it started missing (a little). Stalled at a stop sign and couldn't get it going. Figured it was bad fuel. Had it towed to a shop. Compression is good, spark is good, they found and fixed some air leaks, drained the tank -added some fuel, changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the IAC valve, intake boot and air meter (they were soaked with oil), added some fuel system additive. Got it running. I drove it home (after filling the tank) next morning wouldn't start again. I changed out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump. Have good fuel to the injector rail but no fuel in the line attached to the pressure regulator (return line?). Car cranks but won't kick over. A couple times I've got it to run but it dies pretty quick. Ready to take it back to the shop. Any ideas?

Seems like it keeps flooding for some reason.

Comment

Try some starting fluid. I have had e30's come in the shop with clogged injectors/fuel rails recently. The steel fuel rail corrodes with ethanol in modern fuel. Since it's after the fuel filter, it can clog things.

You have a 92, you should also have the round injector plug under the intake manifold (c191 plug). This is a common place for corrosion and controls 3 things - injectors, coolant gauge and coolant temp sensor for the ECU. If any of those wires are bad, you can get no start and/or rich starts, misfiring etc.

Finally test the TPS. If the idle side of the switch is broken, the ECU tends to flood since it "thinks" your foot is on the accelerator.

EDIT: If you suspect flooding, try cranking the car with the accelerator on the floor - might take a really long crank, but should clear it out and eventually start (if it is in fact flooded, but fuel should evaporate by the morning after sitting all night).
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the response. Saw a video on YOUTUBE (love YOUTUBE). Guy with a Russian accent suggested the OLD SCHOOL method of taking the plugs out and putting some oil down into the cylinders to coat them. It worked! Now I'm gonna monitor it a bit (start it occasionally to see if that got me past the issue). Got your response printed out and will keep it handy for future reference if the issue reoccurs. Again - appreciate your input!

Comment

How does the oil help? Unless your engine has terrible compression and the oil helps seal the rings. In which case adding oil every time you need to start the car is not very sustainable.

Comment

Honestly, I do not know the how or why behind the flooding issue. Since it all started after I filled it up a couple weeks ago, I guess I will chalk it up to a tank of "bad gas" that has finally worked through the system. I only added the oil to the cylinders one time yesterday and have repeatedly shut if off and restarted it numerous times since with no issues. Went out this morning after it sat all night and it started right up.

Comment

Working...
            X