The unemployment rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last 4 mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unemployment rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last 4 mo

For all those still acting like Chicken Little...

Employment grew solidly in March; jobless rate declined
    U.S. businesses added 216,000 jobs last month; unemployment rate at two-year low

WASHINGTON — The U.S. economy posted a second straight month of solid gains in March as the nation’s jobless rate fell to a two-year low of 8.8 percent, marking a decisive shift in the labor market that should help to underpin the economic recovery.

Businesses created 216,000 jobs last month, according to the Labor Department’s latest employment report, after adding 192,000 jobs in February. The past two months mark the fastest two-month pace of job creation since before the recession began. Factories, retailers, education, health care and an array of professional and financial services expanded payrolls.

Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove nearly all of the March job gains. They added 230,000 jobs last month, on top of 240,000 in February. It was the first time private hiring topped 200,000 in back-to-back months since 2006 — more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February to 8.8 percent in March. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last four months, the sharpest drop since 1983.

It could start rising as the improving employment picture coaxes those who have given up the search for work to re-enter the labor market.

“It is always possible that as the job market improves, people will start looking again and the unemployment rate could go up,” said John Hancock's Cheney. “But the normal pattern is once it starts coming down as rapidly as it has over the last few months, it keeps on going down.”

The jobless rate is one of the factors that could determine the timing of the Fed's first interest rate hike since it cut overnight lending rates to near zero in December 2008.

The central bank last month described the labor market as improving gradually and dropped a reference it had used in a statement in January to employers remaining reluctant to add to payrolls.

The economy has recovered a fraction of the more than 8 million jobs lost in the recession. Economists say job growth of between 250,000 and 300,000 a month is needed to have a sizable impact on the pool of 13.7 million unemployed Americans.

That will probably keep the Fed sidelined for a while.

“Even if we have an acceleration in the pace of job growth, there still remains significant slack in the labor market,” said Millan Mulraine, senior macro strategist at TD Securities in New York.

“Given the high levels of unemployment and the fact that the duration of unemployment is still unacceptably high, the Fed will remain on the sidelines at least for the next year before they start contemplating tightening monetary policy explicitly.”

The Fed is expected to complete its $600 billion government bond-buying program, which ends in June.

Well - that's some good news to wake up to..
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Now the word of the day is underemployment and poverty. Every story is about how the gap between the educated and the uneducated (HS diploma or less) is widening. Basically saying that people like us are recovering but those who lack additional skills or education are still above 9%. Apparently the workforce was a bit bloated before and now employers, since they can pick and choose, are choosing a more versatile workforce.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

This is good news, but we clearly have too many people for the available jobs. I would think this would be a good time to encourage having fewer babies, but this genius thinks we need more. A lot more. Of course, they can't pay into SS if they don't have those things called JOBS. But that won't keep scared old people from voting for him....

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
          For all those still acting like Chicken Little...
          And thats what happens when you doctor the numbers. A more realistic unemployment rate reveals...

The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994. That estimate is added to the BLS estimate of U-6 unemployment, which includes short-term discouraged workers.

The U-3 unemployment rate is the monthly headline number. The U-6 unemployment rate is the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) broadest unemployment measure, including short-term discouraged and other marginally-attached workers as well as those forced to work part-time because they cannot find full-time employment.

Doesn't that give you the warm and fuzzies inside?

Comment

Yes - please - for the love of God - cut back on the baby production !
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

tjts1 makes a relevant, informational post!

That's one thing I've never understood is why the "Fed unemployment" number is used when it's so OBVIOUSLY doctored.

Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
              I would think this would be a good time to encourage having fewer babies, but this genius thinks we need more.
              Also a good time to lock down immigration as well.

If we don't have enough jobs for our own, definitely don't need more people showing up.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Its pretty easy to misguide that number by employing everyone though some Gov. program

More Americans work for govt than manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining, utilities -- combined...
                Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                  Its pretty easy to misguide that number by employing everyone though some Gov. program

More Americans work for govt than manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining, utilities -- combined...
                  Well, what do you expect when people whine when their governor reduces government payroll? Some people don't understand gov employee = more taxes needed from private workers.

Although the report clearly stated new jobs were in private companies, not gov. But dropping tax payer money to artificially make new public paper pusher jobs is "stimulus" as seen by government who only cares about looking like success rather actually what occurs.

Comment

Right, government only hires paper pushers. No teachers, no law enforcement, no military, no infrastructure jobs. Just paper pushers.

I want everything from my government and I don't want pay for it. Typical American greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
                      Now the word of the day is underemployment and poverty. Every story is about how the gap between the educated and the uneducated (HS diploma or less) is widening. Basically saying that people like us are recovering but those who lack additional skills or education are still above 9%. Apparently the workforce was a bit bloated before and now employers, since they can pick and choose, are choosing a more versatile workforce.
                      Yeah, but can you really be surprised? When you trade with lower wage nations, our educated workforce benefits and their workers do too (Indians for example), but HS education here is worth less than it was.

Obviously former manufacturer employees (who at least those in a particular industry hard hit) are a huge component, but re-training or development can help them find new ones. Waiting around for your old job to come back won't happen necessarily.

Yes. Bloated - there was tons of money going around and belts were not tight. A lot of people found out they weren't needed anymore if budgets were tight, but then it's time to find something they can do that is needed. I know several friends who have forgotten about what plans they had and went to nursing school, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
                        Doesn't that give you the warm and fuzzies inside?
                        Definition hasn't changed in the last two years, and even by that graph which doesn't look updated to March, it seems to have made progress downward.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Also a good time to lock down immigration as well.

If we don't have enough jobs for our own, definitely don't need more people showing up.
                        Yeah, a small part. Bringing people in to help the world isn't the solution for sure:
                        Immigration - Global humanitarian reasons for current U.S. immigration are tested in this updated version of immigration author and journalist Roy Beck's col...

But just talking about immigration in general is sloppy. Highly educated and intelligent immigrants can help employment and create jobs here to employ Americans, instead of competing where they are from (if they can there). The conflict is low-skilled immigrants who challenge people who aren't as attractive (and usually feel entitled to more than they are worth...), like the ones Ryan mentioned are truly affected by slow economy.

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                        Right, government only hires paper pushers. No teachers, no law enforcement, no military, no infrastructure jobs. Just paper pushers.

I want everything from my government and I don't want pay for it. Typical American greed.
                        Right... because stimulus government jobs are because of new schools, new police departments, etc. No, additional jobs are most likely going to be either unnecessary paper pushers, wars to be fought, or roadwork jobs. Actually, last two are not always necessary either.

It's not like all of the stimulus roadwork was well thought out, innovations for the future. A lot just seemed to be work to give people work.

I actually don't expect (or want) much from government. But government wants more government.

Comment

Well you pay some of the lowest taxes in the industrialized world and you're still bitching about it. When did Americans become such lazy, greedy whiners? The top marginal tax rate in this country used to be 94%.

My suggestion is grow a pair and pay your taxes. You have it pretty damn good and you don't even know it.

Comment

It's America, believe in freedom and that includes my money. Remember how crippling high marginal tax rate was when we had stagflation and how the larger carrot helped drive business in the 80s? Why go back or even compare to yesteryear? I am not sure if you are aware, but things are a bit different between 1941 to 1945 and now, or 1950 post-war baby boom, etc. The economy, our people, and the world are much different.

Letting people keep more of what they earn encourages them to earn more, and also allows them to do what they see fit with it, which with plenty of people is give away as they want to. Greed is often misplaced on those who simply want control over where their money goes. People don't donate a million just to save a fraction of that, they do it to benefit what they want, instead of what the government sees fit.

But other nations believe the government ought to decide what is best to do with majority of the people's money. I have fundamental issues with this as government is usually inefficient and full of morons.

If anything, I'd say the US's tax rate allows for many more private philanthropic and other NPO efforts. People spend their lives in these organizations, out of choice, to make a difference... and seem much more hard working to do so than an government employee at an agency.

Comment

Sacrifice those who are unemployed. Problem solved.
                              S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                              What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                              Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Working...
                              X