KTM Motard Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTM Motard Build

Well, I decided I wanted to do a Supermoto build thread because I can, and I always enjoy seeing build threads that aren't just e30's.

This is intended to be mostly photo heavy. If you have a question free free to ask.

I'm starting with a 2003 KTM 450 EXC. picked her up last year for $2100

Picked up a wheel set for $800

I ran into a few issues getting everything mounted up but in the end I was the victor.

I got some graphics, a supermoto fender, and airbox sticker.

Then some Pilot Powers and a plate.

Some bark busters

Then, in the late summer of last year my bike wouldn't start, and I owed some taxes. So I sold my wheels and tires and threw the bike in the shed. I didn't have the time or money to work on it.

Well, come january and tax money was in and I decided it was time to get the tard back up and running. I started by replacing some levers, filter, oil, chains, sprockets, and fluid.

Then I got some wheels. They are Behr wheels, with a cush hub. And a Beringer brake caliper, disk and Brembo master cylinder.

They needed some love, so I sanded some surface rust from the spokes, and added some reflective tape so I've got a better chance of being seen at night. :pimp:

Thats where I'm at at this point. The bike got dropped off at the dealer this morning to figure out the electrical issue.

Woot love it. I haven't ridden mine in over a week and I'm having withdrawl lol.

Comment

"125EXC" Sleeper

Comment

Damn, I want one of these.

Comment

Nice! Fellow ktm 'tard owner checking in

Comment

I want a tard so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
              Woot love it. I haven't ridden mine in over a week and I'm having withdrawl lol.
              I haven't ridden mine in 6 months. Tell me about it.

Originally posted by Addison325ix View Post
              "125EXC" Sleeper
              Hehehe, those mopeds won't know what hit em' ;D

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
              Damn, I want one of these.
              You should! they are pretty fun for some hooliganism.

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
              Nice! Fellow ktm 'tard owner checking in
              Your SM is way better than this, I have super high maintenance records, and mine isn't nearly as clean.

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
              I want a tard so bad.
              DO IT.

Update: The bike has a bad stator, and ignition cap, so that's going to be $250. Not looking forward to the expenditure, but I'm glad that I finally got the electrical figured out. I guess KTM's are notorious for reading the correct ohm's on a multi meter but not actually be functioning. How ever the hell that works.

Comment

Really nice looking bike! I just got mine running a week ago after hunting down an electrical issue for way too long hich turned out to be...a burnt stator. Be glad it's just $250. The replacement stator on mine alone was $265
                Web Designer / Front End Developer
                My Portfolio & Website

IG: @w_illriderz

Comment

Originally posted by ky0u View Post
                  Really nice looking bike! I just got mine running a week ago after hunting down an electrical issue for way too long hich turned out to be...a burnt stator. Be glad it's just $250. The replacement stator on mine alone was $265
                  Thats crazy. It looks like I can rewind my stator for $40 and a new cover is about $100 so It's not looking as bad as I thought.

What kind of bike do you have?

Comment

CBR 929rr. I think your stator might be a lot smaller than mine which explains the cost haha. I was actually planning to rewind mine as well at first. And then I got it open and the whole thing was a black crusted mess and covered in epoxy underneath and I just lost interest in doing that.

But if you're interested in going that route, the wire is about $20 after shipping. This was the one I bought
                    Web Designer / Front End Developer
                    My Portfolio & Website

IG: @w_illriderz

Comment

Originally posted by ky0u View Post
                      CBR 929rr. I think your stator might be a lot smaller than mine which explains the cost haha. I was actually planning to rewind mine as well at first. And then I got it open and the whole thing was a black crusted mess and covered in epoxy underneath and I just lost interest in doing that.

But if you're interested in going that route, the wire is about $20 after shipping. This was the one I bought
                      Interesting, thanks for the link.

Yeah, my stator is only 100W and after the resistance of the wiring system about 80w. So I'm not surprised that it was more expensive.

Comment

Ordered some parts and got the wheels on. Then did some cleaning up of the muffler.

Comment

Such a beaut. We ride 200EXCs all over the south hills in Twin Falls. Are the 450s geared low like those?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
                          Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Originally posted by eduTechnic View Post
                            Such a beaut. We ride 200EXCs all over the south hills in Twin Falls. Are the 450s geared low like those?

You can gear it how you'd like. I keep a 14-46 for motard riding and 13-50 for dirt riding.

I've never ridden a 200EXC I assume they have the wide ratio transmission like the EXC?

Comment

Working...
                            X