Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1986 325iX -3.0L Stroker - Now up and Running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1986 325iX -3.0L Stroker - Now up and Running!

Well he story begins with my current daily, a 1991 325iX, which I decided would be fun to turbocharge. I considered this greatly until a manifold, turbo and rrfpr popped up in denver craigslist. Figuring I didn't want to miss out on this stuff, I snatched it up.

Having a spare garage and an open summer I thought I could install the kit on my car and borrow my brother's car in the mean time. Well I realized this was not practical especially not having tools, time, or experience to do it. My current iX.

Well a thread popped up here about a euro 325iX being sold off a member, about 25 miles from me. I decided to look at the car for the euro gears in case he opted to part the car. He said the car was going to be turbo'd but all it had caused was problems for him and his wife and the next step was to send it to the junkyard to be picked apart.

This really tore at my heart and I looked for the potential in it. It is a bit rough around the edges but it is a 1986 325iX european model (i didnt even think they made these!). I had heard rumors of the european 3.64 front/rear differentials but never thought I would find a set.

Long story short, being a college athlete, full time student, and working 20 hours a week I didn't think it was possible to swing a non running car, even with an empty garage at home.

The car:
    Supposedly a snapped timing belt led to the idea of a turbo by the PO
    Odometer shows 217k miles (Less than my iX)
    PO went to junkyard, pulled a head from an e30 and slapped it on while tapping oil pan, replacing the clutch, installing forged pistons and rods, and bolting on his turbo setup.
    He said it blew smoke and wouldn't go into gear and after spending so much money his wife was mad so here we are.

Pretty sure it originally came without a 02 sensor and euro pistons:

It has motronic 1.0 35 pin ECU

All loaded up

I don't have any pictures of it into the garage as my camera just crapped out but we got it up my steep driveway(a hyundai santa fe and like 6 guys haha). Don't worry I have the front end and euro bumper.

I plan to finish the motor and turbo charge it since the oil pan has been tapped. I may have to use my RRFPR since there is no 35 pin megasquirt units. I have somewhat modest goals with 8 psi and either 34 or 30 lb injectors. The first thing I need is a new 885 head and then I will be back in business.

Here are the parts I got, IC piping kit not included and some gauges/ downpipe.

Monster t70 from a eta 2.7 stroker
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Hey I can see myself in this post lol. I'm glad we don't have to go back to that house with all of those mosquitoes haha but seriously, those little guys suck!

Comment

So fawkin cool. So unique over here in the states.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Very cool...
        '88 327is - Alpinweiß/Black
        '98 V70 AWD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0TorGVg2U)

Comment

Thanks guys! I got an update for you. I looked everything over, the wiring is a mess, No radio and all of the cut wires under the kick panel will be fun, there are a ton of wires that don't go to anything or have disconnected.

The OBC looks like it is not getting any power, does anyone know where a purple wire with a female connector coming out of the 13 button obc connects to? That may be the problem...

I pulled the cluster that the PO installed as it was from an eta and was piecing the old euro cluster together, it is different than the regular i's. (liters, 100 km/Liter, and only 140 mph spedometer)

My camera broke on me so I can't take any good pictures but I tidied up the interior of the car and bolted the seats down properly. I cleaned up the paint and it has a pretty decent sheen to it where the clear coat has not come off.

First problem I need to address as far as turbo parts is the oil feed/ drain/ cooler lines. The PO tapped the oil level sensor and tapped the oil pan, but the oil cooler lines are in the way of my turbo exhaust manifold. I figured it would be best to keep the oil cooler but how when there isn't much clearance? I have a oil relocation sandwich but the oil cooler lines have been plugged. :/ I was contemplating using one oil feed to the oil cooler off the oil level sensor and the other from the oil relocation sandwich to the turbo. I could then run the oil cooler and drain it back to the turbo oil drain or an adapter on the oil level sensor. What do you guys think?

I will get some pictures up soon.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

rebuilt head has arrived, will be pulling it in the next week or two

Comment

so have you been under car to see if it has the euro 3.64 diff's?
              Angus
              88 E30M3 X2
              89 325IX
              92 R100GS/PD
              :)

Comment

yes I have and it does have the 3.64s!! I had to know that before i even considered to buy it
                Last edited by downforce22; 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Damn, good luck with this!!
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

wow i am ready to watch this take flight! so excited.

Comment

turbo IX's r so dope!!! bring bmw to the AWD turbo class! love it!
                      1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                      1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                      1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                      guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                      Originally posted by ak-
                      Must of slid into Rob

Comment

Nice!

Don't use the RRFPR, just swap the engine harness and appropriate parts to make it Motronic 1.3, then you can use MS. I did the M1.3 on my '86 eta for the 327i swap. The body harness is plug and play.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Been looking for a euro IX forever... so sad i missed this =[
                          -Alex

Comment

thanks guys, unfortunately I am very busy for the next few weeks so progress will be slow.

I am on the fence about the RRFPR vs Megasquirt... I need a whole new harness ans some intermediate parts, not to mention the whole megasquirt unit which equates to more money. Both configurations have their advantages and I am leaning toward RRFPR because I already have it. Doing it 'right' though would equate to a unit built by whodwho

Comment

Well I pulled the timing belt and head stud bolts tonight, the head swap is getting close!. My question is about the oil level sensor line. It has 5 wires and the PO cut and splices them back together...

How do i disconnect the lines since they run right through the intake manifold hole (on the same line as the injector plugs)? Do I need to splice them and rewire? there has to be a better way

Comment

Working...
                              X