Metal Pipe in Trunk? Ever Replaced It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Pipe in Trunk? Ever Replaced It?

In this diagram, I referring to part number 8: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...28&hg=41&fg=25

It is a metal pipe leading from the wheel well to underneath the rear seat. It is a conduit for hoses related to the gas tank vent system, I believe.

Anyway, this pipe is extremely rusted on my car... starting in the wheel well and going all the way through to 3" short of where it terminates.

I'm doing a bunch of other rust repair projects in the rear right now and I'd like to replace this pipe too. However, I notice it says "ENDED" on RealOEM. Does that mean it's no longer available?

What have people done in this situation in the past? Thanks.
    '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Available from BMW. Under $10.00

Here.

Comment

That site has nothing about actually selling parts?
      REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Might be best to source one from a junk yard. Probably your best bet.

Comment

Here, try this.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            Might be best to source one from a junk yard. Probably your best bet.
            It's a cut and weld kind of part, even though it's a pipe. I'd prefer not to get another used one if I'm going to go through the hassle. It's a bit of work to access in the first place.

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
            Here, try this.
            Excellent, they're saying $7.74. I've never heard of this operation, have you bought from them with success in the past? Thanks.
            '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Yes. It is Tischer BMW. They advertise in Roundel.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Comment

I had to replace that pipe on my car, but in my case it was easier in the long run to cut it out of a parts car because the sheetmetal behind the plastic cover in the wheelwell was rusted through.

The end of the pipe where it sits under the seat is brazed and I was able to cut it out fairly well using a cutoff wheel and a Dremel. I used a MIG and where I didn't get all the brazing rod removed it popped like crazy and sent hot little balls flying, so cover or remove anything you don't want riddled with holes!

I can email you some pictures if you'd like.

Comment

So, a week after ordering this pipe through BMW, I'm told that it is in fact, no longer available!

I need a clean, used one cut out of a car! Preferably asap, my car is apart and waiting for this pipe. Anyone?

Comment

Pmd you.

Comment

I have to replace this as well, ordered through a site linked above. I imagine my order will get cancelled and I'll have to find a car to cut one out of. What is the purpose of this pipe? The cover in the wheel well is rusted as well.

Comment

The three hoses for the fuel tank ventilation system run through the pipe. There's an expansion tank above the right rear fender liner and hoses originate in this area and run from there to the fuel tank.

There are two small diameter plastic hoses and one larger diameter braided rubber hose.

The cover in the wheel well is just a piss poor design IMHO. It traps dirt and water and begins to rust out. I've replaced four out of four on my fleet.

The E30 collection:
                          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
                            The three hoses for the fuel tank ventilation system run through the pipe. There's an expansion tank above the right rear fender liner and hoses originate in this area and run from there to the fuel tank.

There are two small diameter plastic hoses and one larger diameter braided rubber hose.

The cover in the wheel well is just a piss poor design IMHO. It traps dirt and water and begins to rust out. I've replaced four out of four on my fleet.
                            I'll have to tear that out then and check on those lines. Glad that pipe isn't something structural at least. Is there a plastic version of the cover in the wheel well or some other solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahalaleel View Post
                              Is there a plastic version of the cover in the wheel well or some other solution?
                              I wish there was! But I assume the metal is required to keep those lines from rubbing the tire and the shock.

The cover is now around $65 from the usual vendors.

The E30 collection:
                              1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                              1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                              1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                              1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                              1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                              1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                              1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                              2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                              2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
                              X