No announcement yet.

My E30 335i resto-mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious. Will an m30 engine mount up to a Getrag 260? I should do a quick search, but while I'm here, I figured I'd ask.

Upon searching: No. It will not.

Comment

It will, but not an M20 getrag 260. Most e28, e34-era M30s came bolted to getrag 260 with M10/M30-specific bellhousings.
      cars beep boop

Comment

yeah and im going to save and get a getrag 265 to mount to this engine.
        Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

why? It's not much stronger than a late-production M30-compatible 260, but you need a custom driveshaft.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I hear the gearing is better in it. But if I find a g260 that's at the right price I may pick it up just to get the engine in the car.

sigpic

Comment

they are geared identically; you may have heard that about the 265/5 dogleg box which is close-ratio and has a 1:1 5th.
              cars beep boop

Comment

hmm well okay then. I will be looking around at the yard or online for a g260 or a g265 what ever i run across at the best price ill grab. But that is a bit down the line. I still have to rebuild the engine.

sigpic

Comment

Getting my engine stand tomorrow then I can start on disassembling the block having it machined and have the pistons and rods inspected to see if I can reuse them.

So i got the engine at my house now not a friends house and wile we where moving it my moms husband was helping and he slipped and racked his head on the corner of the engine block. so it has tasted blood ..........fuck.
                  Last edited by Bimmer_man; 09-12-2013, 09:13 PM.

sigpic

Comment

So i will be moving sometime within it seems to be about 3 months so ill be doing less updates on the car. Ill be pulling apart the block for easier transport. But i am mainly working on the body work on the car. Getting the dents out trying to use as little body filler as possible. Surprisingly my car dosnt have many dents or dings. With this being my first time doing body work this will take a while. I do have one pretty deep gash im going to have professionally removed. I will post pics the further i get, between work, school, moving this is going to be a little slow. Just not enough time to invest hrs upon hrs into it right now. I am however still going at it. But come tax season my car will be getting a whole new paint job in Polaris-Metallic. I love the way that looks i uncovered the previous paint job that was the original paint from BMW and WOW is it gorgeous.

sigpic

Comment

well the pistons are scared on the skirts a couple pretty deep so im going to get new pistons and bore the block a bit. So my build just got more pricey. ill be dropping a little over a grand on new pistons. i may give it a 94mm bore i think 95mm is the largest most would put this engine at so we will see. Im not too worried about the engine blowing out a cylinder im not going to be going FI at all so i think it will be fine even if i decide to go to 95mm. If you have any suggestions on bore size feel free to let me know.

Also the engine has never been bored before it still has the stock bore size.

sigpic

Comment

after reading and making a few calls i have decided to bore the block to 95mm with a compression ratio of 10.5:1. supposedly that makes the engine in the 3700cc range. when i took the crank out the rod bearings seemed to have some wear on them but the main bearings seemed damn near pristine. So soon my mechinist will be getting the block and crank and he will let me know on the status of my crank shaft. I hope its usable.

sigpic

Comment

Are you planning on going with megasquirt or some other type of standalone? You won't get much out of all that motor work with the Motronic.
                          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I wasn't planing on going megasquirt just getting the war chip with the maf conversion

sigpic

Comment

I found out the m30 crank I have is a forged crankshaft hell yeah.

sigpic

Comment

Iirc, they have forged rods too just the pistons are cast. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X