No announcement yet.

mistake when changing timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your valves were bent to begin with though. I would also recommend doing a compression test to just exactly what you're looking at.

Comment

i have no idea why the rocker slide off? i have the clips in stalled.

would the engine start with bent valves ?
      she fired up just fine after the rocker install and drove 30 plus min. then out of no where the valves decided to bend even more to the point of shut off and no restart ? that doesnt make much sense

i will pull all the plugs and clean then , adjust all the vlaves and if here i no fire ill do a compression test,...never have done a leak down test

another weird thing is my mpg gauge was pegged at 50mpgs and doing weird stuff during that 30min drive ...workded fine before

just weird that it just ramdonly shut off on me like that.

also for some odd reason my mpg gauge was going back and forth or would stay at 50 mpgs ? worked great before all this nonsence

also would hot/warm coolant spilled on the cps ruin the sensor ?
      Last edited by 325ix89; 10-19-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

so i pulled the plugs and cylinder 3 has a smashed plug... guessing the belt skipped the piston hit the valve causing it to break and smashed up the plug? would i be able to hear it jingle inthere while turning it over ? maybe some think managed to fall into the spark plug hole?

im so confused

checking timing
        Last edited by 325ix89; 10-20-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

IMO, you should take a step back and take it to a knowledgeable mechanic. It seems like something goes bad every time you touch your car. I understand you want to save money but it will be cheaper in the long run. It looks like a simple timing belt job is turning into a major engine failures

Comment

Do. A. Compression. Test.

Sounds like it's knackered though.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              A "slightly" bent valve is like being a little bit pregnant. You either are or aren't

this made me laugh ^^^

i think your looking for a simple fix to a non simple problem .....

do a compression test to see how ALL cyl. compression is and then you can figure out what to do from there

how many miles are on the car/motor anyway might not be a bad move to take the head off and do new valves and guides anyway plus head gasket ..... not forget though when putting everything back together to set everything to TDC before you but head on ........
              PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

You can rent a compression tester from any Oreilly's, Autozone, etc. or buy one for 20 bucks. The test will take you 5 minutes. Go do this.

Regardless, it sounds like that head needs to come off though. I'm not seeing a scenario that doesn't require this unless it's replacing the entire motor.
                Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                  IMO, you should take a step back and take it to a knowledgeable mechanic. It seems like something goes bad every time you touch your car. I understand you want to save money but it will be cheaper in the long run. It looks like a simple timing belt job is turning into a major engine failures

^+
                  sigpic
                  327is
                  325es
                  325es
                  318is
                  Fiesta ST
                  E46 M3

Comment

Working...
                  X