No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be working on tuning the Megasquirt soon, doing dyno runs, street tuning etc. We should get together and share the learning. Then there will be TWO guys in Austin that know Megasquirt. :devil:
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Woo Hoo! Car goes to exhaust fabricator tomorrow. Winding Road is all over it. So relieved. They know what they're doing.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
        I'll be working on tuning the Megasquirt soon, doing dyno runs, street tuning etc. We should get together and share the learning. Then there will be TWO guys in Austin that know Megasquirt. :devil:
        And then you can help me tune my Megasquirted 302 :devil:

Comment

Was pouring rain when we had to drag the car over to Winding Road. Bah. Who cares! We have windows ... and some strategically placed gun tape.

No worries though. They've got an enormous new warehouse shop. We just rolled the car indoors and left it with the rest of the race cars. Will be done in a week.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

congrats on getting the car to exhaust

can you post pictures of winding road racing

they have a small building here local to me in southern California.

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Will do. I'll be there Monday

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Read it as one piece. Nice and useful logbook.Thanks!
                my logbook https://www.drive2.com/r/bmw/1356826/

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
                  That sounds great! I am working through that process currently with a megasquirt PNP and a bone-stock M20B25. It's a learning experience, but I am making progress slowly but surely.

Having a stock example around might be useful as you move forward!

Glad to see the exhaust work getting done, it'll be go-time soon :up:

Comment

Exhaust extravaganza

Drum roll please .................... EXHAUST IS FINALLY IN PROGRESS!

It is such a pleasure to be working with professional fabricators. Within one morning of starting, Justin had the entire exhaust cut and tacked it place. Check this out:

Down pipe and turbo v-band

Down pipe from below. Note the waste gate

Better look at the flex pipe and v-band. Entire exhaust is one piece from the v-band back.

Looking from the opposite direction. Resonator recessed into the drive shaft tunnel. Muffler is well up under the passenger rear seat.

Down turn exhaust tip in front of the rear left wheel. We avoided cutting the rocker since it's structurally tied into the subframe.

I really like the work so far. The rest is SS welding and hangers.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

p.s. you'll want to eventually flip the v-band clamp around to get the bolt to be less low. they're not super fun to unbolt when they're bent, ground, and mangled due to hitting the pavement repeatedly.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

LoL. Will do. That's just a test fit.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Car is back from exhaust. Here's a good closeup of the down pipe. V-Bands are on the right way underneath. :-)

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Rob's off camping so engine start day is delayed. Back to a bit of bodywork.

Here are the reworked gutter covers. Bondo stage complete. Glazing putty and sanding next.

First time out of the shop we noticed front tires are rubbing on the body work during turn in.

A bit of angle grinder work later. That's better.

Trimmed air dam and bumper as well. Worked fine.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Looks great. I think that back right tire is going to get real hot tho.
                              You might James Bond yourself with an oil slick if you have a turbo failure. It would suck to have to use that roll cage because of exhaust placement.
                              Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by peterman; 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Minor body work mishap. Air dam got pranged on the way back from Winding Road. We think it whacked the ramp on the way down. Ugh.

When I went to get out the paint gear our can of single stage white had disappeared. Then, adding insult to injury, I found out the the body shop that did the paint job went out of business. LoL. Comedy of errors.

Luckily, right across the street from Winding Road there's an auto paint supply shop with a nice paint match machine. Brought the wing over there and got it matched to a PPG single stage urethane..

Used my cup gun to shoot it with primer then color. The light's a little wonky in this picture because it's getting late, but it turned out fine.

Moving on. Engine start this week if we can get in enough time.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X