CEL comes on and off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL comes on and off...

After driving for 20+ mins. It occurs randomly regardless of driving status or road condition (full throttle or not, uphill / downhill, flat road, etc.) - it just random comes on and off. However, the CEL does not cause any chocking or bucking at all, no lost of driving performance that I am noticing.

Code say Lamba but my O2 sensor is new. I checked my boot and tube and there is no crack. My crank sensor is new and AFM had just been refreshed.
    I am thinking beside smoke test, should I try to change my TPS and check / update C191.

Any other things that I should look into?
    Current:
    '88 325ic Silver 5sp
    '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
    '14 Rav4 EV (with tons of torque!)
    '06 325i Black 5sp
    '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
    '00 Boxster Silver 5sp
    '98 New Bettle Yellow 5sp

no need to change the TPS unless you know its not working.

I'm assuming you pulled the code via a stomp test, so if you car is idling okay and a stomp test works, you're TPS is most likely okay.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Ensure you have the correct gap on the new CPS.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Is your CPS aftermarket or OEM / genuine? I tried an aftermarket one and had it fail after about 3 months of use. OEM one has been in the car for about a year with zero issues. Only crap part is how expensive the OEM one is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
        The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
        The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
        The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

How to ensure CPS gap is correct? Thanks!
          Current:
          '88 325ic Silver 5sp
          '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
          '06 325i Black 5sp
          '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
          '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

Originally posted by mazzo View Post
            How to ensure CPS gap is correct? Thanks!
            Take a feeler gauge and measure the distance, should be about 1mm +/-.3m. If I remember correctly.
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

ok Thanks.
              Current:
              '88 325ic Silver 5sp
              '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
              '06 325i Black 5sp
              '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
              '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

Ok - report back on crank sensor check. I finally took the time to get a feeler gauge and checked, and the space is right.
                I am out of idea on what to do - again this does not happen when I am not moving the car (even when I step on gas to WOT at stop). This only happens when the car been driven for about 20 to 30 mins.
                Any idea?
                Current:
                '88 325ic Silver 5sp
                '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
                '06 325i Black 5sp
                '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
                '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

Got any history on the fuel pump?

The 20-30mins.thing reminds me of an fuel pump that would work fine for 20mins then then car would start spluttering. If you let it sit for 5mins you would get another 20mins out of it.

I wonder if the fuel pump is slowly losing fuel pressure over half an hour causing a lean mixture which shows up as a cell for the o2 sensor. Maybe it's not bad enough to cause driveability issues but does cause lean condition. Just a theory.
                  Last edited by e30davie; 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

The walbro 255 was installed about 25k miles ago. I hope that is not the cause of it, but just in case, how should I check it? It's hard to detect since I did not lost any drivability (both city and freeway, partial or WOT) when the CEL was flashing on and off random. I also did not experience any bucking / stall / rough idle at all so this makes diagnostic difficult..... :)
                    Current:
                    '88 325ic Silver 5sp
                    '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
                    '06 325i Black 5sp
                    '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
                    '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

Have a harbor freight near by? They sell super cheap fuel pressure guages with a few fittings. Disconnect the inlet on the fuel rail and install the guage with the t fitting. The inlet is the front of the rail. The fpr is always at the back of the rail. Then connect the other end back to the rail. Should be around 3 bar of pressure.

Comment

Or i wonder if you have an exhaust leak that is playing havoc with your O2 sensor.

Comment

@ZekeTheSneak - I have fuel gauge installed and the pressure looks normal to me (I have it at 3.5 bar, using 19# injectors and SSSquid chip on M30 AFM)
                          @e30davie, if that's the case why would it not show up until after 20+ mins of driving. I tried to rev my engine constantly up and down between 3k to 5k for well over 5 mins on my drive way but I can't reproduce it....no CEL.
                          But just in case, any way to check where the leak exist?
                          Thanks in advance!!
                          Current:
                          '88 325ic Silver 5sp
                          '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
                          '06 325i Black 5sp
                          '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
                          '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

@ZekeTheSneak, sorry forgot to mention I have the adjustable FPR with gauge installed since I have these mod for well over 2 years. Never touched them since. Thanks!
                            Current:
                            '88 325ic Silver 5sp
                            '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
                            '06 325i Black 5sp
                            '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
                            '00 Boxster Silver 5sp

Comment

What is the actual fault code or do a stomp test?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                              X