No announcement yet.

Engine Rattle At Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the valve adjustments don't quiet it down much there could be some piston slap contributing to the cacophony.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by gilber33 View Post
      I will try a stethoscope and adjusting the valves before running it with the cover off.

I did confirm the oil pressure light comes on with key in pos 2 with all the other dash lights, but it turns off instantly when I start the car. Doesn't stay on. I'm hoping that's a good sign and I'm just looking at a rocker that needs to be adjusted.
      A stethoscope would be good but you might be able to get away with putting your ear to the end of a screw driver. It just won’t be as accurate. Did you replace the valve stem seals? Maybe that could be the cause?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalW/BlauCheese View Post
        A stethoscope would be good but you might be able to get away with putting your ear to the end of a screw driver. It just won’t be as accurate. Did you replace the valve stem seals? Maybe that could be the cause?
        I didnt because there wasn't really any evidence they were bad. The intake and exhaust valves were very clean. All my past cars it was obvious the stem seals were bad because the valves would have build up on them from oil seeping past the seal.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X