M44 into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M44 into an E30

I found a local sale for an M44 with 52k miles for a bit less than rebuilding my M42.

I was wonder if it was a venture worth looking into.

I was looking into using the short block and swapping in the M42 intake/MAF onto the M44 and using the stock ECU and wiring from the E30. Keeping the M44 serp belt set up, if the engine includes accesories.

Ive read a little on M42club about one temp sensor from the M44 working two seperate systems for the E30 chassis. Other than this i dont see any real issues.

Does anyone know anything else i should look out for?

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

I havn't heard much about other problems, but M44's don't like to rev quite as much. Also, it has knock sensors that the e30 ecu doesn't support. I don't know if that is a problem, but figured it was worth throwing out there.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The Cam Sensors are also different. You might have to use m42 cam sprockets.

Comment

Not a big deal i dont think.

I would also have to use m42 oil pump and pans. However, i think the knock sensor can just remain unplugged [if its like other knock sensors]

I did read up on a EWS? system but that would be taken care of with the E30 wiring.
        Last edited by Hick; 03-05-2008, 06:44 AM.

Comment

M44's IIRC are also OBDII so you need to factor that in as well. Not sure what it would take to make and M44 OBDI.

Comment

OBD I and OBD II deal with the management of the engine right? So if i use the E30 wiring doesn't that void the problem?

Comment

if you use the E30 manifolds, oil pan, and wiring the only issue you face is the coolant sensor.

Comment

The engine block/head wont be a problem.
                Change the manifolds, sensors, and oil pan. and harness obviously
                You may need to change the valve cover... but you should also be able to use the coils that the m44 comes with.

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

I saw this on bimmerforums..... It some kind of e36 temp sensor adaptor. Homemade? Commercial? Not sure if it would help. Lost the thread url.
                  Attached Files

Comment

^^Nice! Im sure i could make that!

Looks like id have to swap cam gears too.

My only concern is running the E30 ECU with the M44 [m42 = 1.8L, m44 = 1.9L] Should work fine IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                      ^^Nice! Im sure i could make that!

Looks like id have to swap cam gears too.

My only concern is running the E30 ECU with the M44 [m42 = 1.8L, m44 = 1.9L] Should work fine IMO
                      It might *work* but it would be nowhere near optimized. As noted here, the M42 and M44 motors perform much differently (rev ranges, torque curves, etc); this is due to different efficiency zones and design of the engine. BMW spent alot of time tweaking the fuel and spark maps in the ECU specifically for the M42 motor. Applying the same maps on the M44 motor will likely get it running, but it won't be optimized (lower power, lower mpg, etc).
                      www.SpitfireEFI.com Custom Megasquirt ECU's
                      sigpic
                      '91 318is

Comment

Is the difference in displacement the bore or the stroke?

If its bore then i should have no problems running the E30 wiring/ECU

Found it.

M42 --> 84mm x 81mm [bore stroke]
                        M44 --> 85mm x 83.5mm [bore stroke]

Reguardless. If i use M42 mapping the managment still knows when the engine reaches TDC on the crank and each cam then it should work the same. The valve overlap may be different but for all intents and purposes i dont think it will run poorly [ie blow up]
                        Last edited by Hick; 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Joe, it might be a good idea to use the stock, lower redline chip if you swap in the M44. Unlike the M42, the 1.9 has a cast crank that isn't fully counterweighted. Keep the redline at 6500 instead of 7000 for the sake of reliability...and gas prices!

Comment

Good idea. I was planning on having the M42 blueprinted and rebuilding it to go back into the car at some point. So the M44 would only be in there for a year or so.

I have the motor now. Looks very clean, but has some rust on the back of the valves for #1.

Also, its from a 93 insted of 95. Does that change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                              Also, its from a 93 insted of 95. Does that change anything?
                              yes, it would be an M42 instead of an M44. you can use both of your E30M42 coolant temp sensors in the E36 head no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X