Shortened M42 Oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortened M42 Oil pan

My car is lowered on GC coils/non shortened Koni Sports, and my oil pan sits about 1.5-2 inches off the ground. I have a skid plate but even with that this past weekend I cracked the oil pan. After I patched it up with JB weld, I looked for some solutions to fix this oil pan clearance issue. I came up with: raising motor, engine swap to M30/M50/SXX, or shortening the oil pan.

I have heard of some racers shortening the oil pan, or shortening it and fattening it so that it holds the same volume. Have you guys ever heard of this? Or know any place/person I can contact to have my oil pan shortened?

While the car was on the lift, I noticed a good 2-2.5 inches that can be taken off and widened.

Thanks,

Hootie

i heard about this, and its in another thread. i cant remember where, just search.
    sigpic

Comment

it was in the thread of the e21 photoshoot. there was just talk of it. No useful info but i think you have to shorten the oil pickup to

Comment

Just go sumpless....

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
          Just go sumpless....
          Whats sumpless.

I have a pick up too. Just got them in the mail. I am going to get to work.

Comment

being a smart ass haha. someone should make a dry sump for the m42

you could go so low
            Last edited by wolfgangstbd; 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Your gunna ending up spending as much time and almost as much money as a m50 swap... and your still gunna have a oil pan issue lolll

Comment

Originally posted by hootie View Post
                Whats sumpless.

I have a pick up too. Just got them in the mail. I am going to get to work.
                I think he means dry sump, meaning you have a seperate resevoir for the oil, rather then it being in the pan.

More info.

I like how you think though, i wanna go lower on mine too, but my pan with the skid plate sits pretty close to the ground. I was thinking of raising the engine too, not sure how much would be worth it though. Plus you'd have to worry about the tranny, driveline angles, and if you still have the clutch fan (what to do with that)

Sold.......again.

Comment

Originally posted by zav3n View Post
                  Your gunna ending up spending as much time and almost as much money as a m50 swap... and your still gunna have a oil pan issue lolll
                  Not at all. An M50 swap by the end of it will be around $1000. I bought a spare oil pan for 30 shipped. cutting and welding won't be $1970.

Originally posted by 91 318is View Post
                  I think he means dry sump, meaning you have a seperate resevoir for the oil, rather then it being in the pan.

More info.

I like how you think though, i wanna go lower on mine too, but my pan with the skid plate sits pretty close to the ground. I was thinking of raising the engine too, not sure how much would be worth it though. Plus you'd have to worry about the tranny, driveline angles, and if you still have the clutch fan (what to do with that)
                  My skid plate is 1.5 inches from the ground and I have already cracked one. I am also going to raise the engine about an inch if possible.

Comment

I've shattered 2, and sort of looked into the problem. You can't modify the stock lower pan because it's cast aluminum, meaning it can't be cut and welded. My plan is just to deal with it being low till the motor shits the bed, then go 24v.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangstbd View Post
                      No useful info but i think you have to shorten the oil pickup to

Brilliant !

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by boom-monkey View Post
                        I've shattered 2, and sort of looked into the problem. You can't modify the stock lower pan because it's cast aluminum, meaning it can't be cut and welded. My plan is just to deal with it being low till the motor shits the bed, then go 24v.

Cast aluminum is easily welded. Have you welded aluminum before?
                        sigpic

Comment

I have not, no welding experience actually. Relaying info from a welding shop I took the pan to, said welding cast to sheet aluminum is near impossible.

If you're saying it's do-able then I guess the only real issue is shortening the pick up.

Still not worth it for me but goodluck if someone attempts it.

Comment

Yea, Its extremely doable. Just takes a ton of practice. Practice i luckily have. Ive got a cracked M50 oil pan im thinking of welding up

Matt
                            sigpic

Comment

Killer, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X