No announcement yet.

Shortened M42 Oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't pretend to be a welding in any shape or form but isn't welding up a crack or welding on whatever aluminum completely different from welding sheet aluminum onto/into cast aluminum ??

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by zav3n View Post
      Your gunna ending up spending as much time and almost as much money as a m50 swap... and your still gunna have a oil pan issue lolll
      Not exactly. dont post useless, retarded responses about something you know little about. To shorten a oilpan and sump will cost around 100$ if you know somebody to do it. around 2-300 if you dont.

M50 swap? about 50 stitches, 2 years down and out because EVERYONE doesnt know half the BS they talk about and refer to. its a endless spiderweb of USELESS information.

SO! 300$ tops for a shortened oilpan for the m42
      or 6000$ all said and done for a m5x swap.

jesus.
      sigpic

Comment

i will post a thread about shortening the m42 oilpan, as just an hour ago i busted #2
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by boom-monkey View Post
          I have not, no welding experience actually. Relaying info from a welding shop I took the pan to, said welding cast to sheet aluminum is near impossible.

If you're saying it's do-able then I guess the only real issue is shortening the pick up.

Still not worth it for me but goodluck if someone attempts it.
          who said it has to be aluminum? it CAN be done, but if they dont know how to do it, it will be brittle as hell.
          sigpic

Comment

It has to be aluminium because the stock upper and lower pans are cast aluminium.....

Unless you are making an all new pan.

Comment

making a all new pan is going to be expensive. Because your cost will start going through the roof unless you can find someone to make the flange where it bolts up. So that you can build the pan from there. Sort of like a Turbo flange but on a larger scale

Ive looked at the M42 pan, It as well as the sump can come up about .75 inches without huge modification. You simply cut a "ring" out of the center. And cut a section out of the pickup and weld it back together.

But the question is: IS 3/4 of an inch worth it?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
                To relieve space between the skid plate and pan; yes.
                sigpic

Comment

then awesome. That was an actual question. Not rhetorical. Id be willing to modify pans for people.
                  sigpic

Comment

How about bolting it shut with a plate that has a hole for the pick up tube using a gasket on the plate for the pickup tube and then having a (pipe??) run to your new oil location.

It looks perfectly flush with the mounting location...

Here is another pic for reference...

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

If you shorten it you need to expand the pan outwards to retain oil capacity and to ensure the pickup stays submerged when the oil sloshes. The lower pan is where the majority of the oil is held.

Comment

Originally posted by boom-monkey View Post
                        If you shorten it you need to expand the pan outwards to retain oil capacity and to ensure the pickup stays submerged when the oil sloshes. The lower pan is where the majority of the oil is held.
                        i think we already figured that out. i did anyways. i spoke to a friend who is a welder and i asked if there was a way we can get a stronger more durable metal to build it out of.. any ideas?
                        sigpic

Comment

I have approx 1-1.5" clearance and I have no issues. But I am running coilovers at stupid stiff levels. My exhaust on the other hand pops road reflectors off.

But it's all part of completing the Trifecta.
                          Buy E30
                          Get BBS
                          Go as low as possible.
                          Originally posted by jrhaile
                          For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
                            making a all new pan is going to be expensive. Because your cost will start going through the roof unless you can find someone to make the flange where it bolts up. So that you can build the pan from there. Sort of like a Turbo flange but on a larger scale

Ive looked at the M42 pan, It as well as the sump can come up about .75 inches without huge modification. You simply cut a "ring" out of the center. And cut a section out of the pickup and weld it back together.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If I ship you my oil pan and pick up as a prototype and paypal you some cash would you be willing to do it? 3/4 of an inch makes a huge difference when put together with raising the engine. That means I can go an inch and a half lower...

And about retaining the oil pan's capacity, I basically said fuck it and was going to run about 1 less quart of oil (or however much volume was removed). As long as the pan is smaller the sloshing of oil shouldn't make the engine susceptible to oil starvation.

Let me know. I still want to do this, as I nearly cracked my oil pan again TWICE tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by slow e30 View Post
                              i think we already figured that out. i did anyways. i spoke to a friend who is a welder and i asked if there was a way we can get a stronger more durable metal to build it out of.. any ideas?
                              Let me know what the welder says. I am willing to put my 180K mile M42 on the chopping block for this...well I really hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by slow e30 View Post
                                Not exactly. dont post useless, retarded responses about something you know little about. To shorten a oilpan and sump will cost around 100$ if you know somebody to do it. around 2-300 if you dont.

M50 swap? about 50 stitches, 2 years down and out because EVERYONE doesnt know half the BS they talk about and refer to. its a endless spiderweb of USELESS information.

SO! 300$ tops for a shortened oilpan for the m42
                                or 6000$ all said and done for a m5x swap.

jesus.
                                You need to follow your own advice. An M50 swap will not cost $6000 all said and done. I also happened to do two swaps with information solely contained on r3vlimited.com.

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X