No announcement yet.

M42 maintenance list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see the oil pressure relief valve on here. It's just as likely a cluprit for chain rattle as the tensioner.

And it's a cheap part.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Looks like you're going all out. I'd go ahead and get the full top end gasket set 'cause you'll need it if you're doing the profile gasket. And why not replace all the crankcase vent/vacuum/icv hoses while you're at it?

Comment

Mustang injectors are 4 pintle as opposed to ours which are 2 pintle. So they provide a better burn and atomize the fuel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
          And why not replace all the crankcase vent/vacuum/icv hoses while you're at it?
          "Mess under the intake" takes care of all that.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Ok, after reading this it appears Ive missed a few things along my way...are there any threads on the updated oil pressure relief valve and upper chain guide?

What part numbers for mustang injectors or from which year mustang? Are they plug and play?

Same for VW lifters...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
              Looks like you're going all out. I'd go ahead and get the full top end gasket set 'cause you'll need it if you're doing the profile gasket. And why not replace all the crankcase vent/vacuum/icv hoses while you're at it?
              Any details on the "Top end gasket set"? Or a link?

I'm really trying to just develop a comprehensive list of all maintenance parts that should be replaced at some point or another. I'd say most of the things i've listed will get done but this all depends on how much this all comes out to be.

Thanks

Comment

Not aware of specific threads – but from time to time, I’ll catch a thread where someone finds little plastic ‘chunks’ in the oil pan. These chucks are generally from old chain guides.

The updated guides and pressure valve are just that – updated parts from BMW. The guides become brittle with age and heat cycles. I’ve read that the plastic/nylon oil pressure valve replaces a metal version which can seize – although, I’ve never heard of one seizing – but it’s a cheap part to replace ‘while you’re in there’.

Here’s the injector part number I ordered from Motor Man Fuel Injection Supply (www.injectors4u.com)
                Bosch MPI injectors 0280150556
                – from what I understand, they’re practically identical with exception of 4-pintle rather than our 2-pintles (as stated – for better fuel atomization).

Sounds like our maintenance builds are pretty similar. I found crank and cam sensors to be pretty expensive – so I plan to run originals for now. (def a good idea for fresh O2 sensor though)

A ‘full top end gasket set’ as I understand it simply includes a new head gasket and new head bolts.

I’m not familiar with VW lifters mentioned – and am also skeptical that replacing your existing lifters is worthwhile.

Gaskets? Just get all of them. Seriously. m42s tend to leak like pigs. (oil pans, oil filter canister, upper/lower timing cases, and profile gaskets)

While some say m42s are time bombs – I believe performing preventative maintenance on them (profile gaskets, timing chain guides & tensioner, etc.) is worth it in the long run.

COP conversion is similar to running the 4-pintle injectors – mostly an optimization thing. COP conversions are popular on m42s because plug wires are removed from equation. In one example, Grassroots Motorsports discovered an astounding 6 hp increase after swapping in new plug wires on an e30/m42. Not because the wires were that great – but because the originals had become that worn. Also, the cost of new plug wires alone is comparable to finding a COP kit (plate, coils, and hardware) to install.

I’m excited to be running a COP/4-pintle injector/MarkD chip combo as well. Horsepower gains should be negligible – it’s the increased/optimized fuel economy that gets me excited.

Before jumping in – you may want to do some initial checking on your engine. Compression test will give a good indication of general health. Pulling the valve cover will let you see cam gears. (square teeth = good. Pointy teeth = bad)

Good idea – if you haven’t already – is to search around for a pdf version of Bentley’s e36 manual online. (m42 not covered in Bentley’s e30 manual)

Some are excited to keep m42s healthy – others (many) get turned off and start looking for m50/s5x swap options.

Good luck and have fun.
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

My best friend is a mustang nut. I can probably get the injectors for really cheap he says they pretty much give them away because the 19# are way too small for their applications. Pm me if interested

Comment

Simon S- Thank you for posting that information. That just made me smarter and it sheds alot of light into subject matter. Maybe more cars will stay off the "part out" threads.

jintermont- Thanks for letting me know, i'll get back to you.

Comment

If your lifters are ticking replace with these http://www.fourseasontuning.com/product.php?id=162&product_code=050109309HBR

They are lighter and cheaper which is a bonus, there are no real gains besides reducing valve float, I have them in my car they are a direct swap no modifications needed.

Also if your end up getting a cold air intake and a high flow exhorts with a chip I would recommend finding the 22# injectors that fit our cars.
                      My car tends to lean out at high rpm.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                        Any details on the "Top end gasket set"?
                        If you're going to do the profile gasket, you're going to need a full head gasket set.

Btw, I like your approach, but keep in mind with your ODO you may not need to dig as deep as you're planning just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo
                          They are lighter and cheaper which is a bonus, there are no real gains besides reducing valve float, I have them in my car they are a direct swap no modifications needed.
                          Good to know – thanks for sharing this info.

Originally posted by Massimo
                          Also if your end up getting a cold air intake and a high flow exhorts with a chip I would recommend finding the 22# injectors that fit our cars.
                          My car tends to lean out at high rpm.
                          I wonder if an old/worn fuel pump might play into a possible lean condition?

Originally posted by Ryann
                          If you're going to do the profile gasket, you're going to need a full head gasket set.
                          There’s just one head gasket – can you clarify “full set”? (I can appreciate ‘full’ set meaning gasket + head bolts) (head bolts being a one-time use deal)

Originally posted by Ryann
                          Btw, I like your approach, but keep in mind with your ODO you may not need to dig as deep as you're planning just yet.
                          Yeah – this is one of those tricky, slippery slope things. ~106K is pretty young – no doubt there. I think a majority of objective is preventative maintenance in nature.

I’d like to think replacing chain tensioner and guides prior to ~150K is going to help original chain and sprockets live for up to ~220K.

At this time, with those miles – one can agree that factory profile gasket has been addressed by now – but then one never knows if any possible timing case corrosion condition was addressed. The guides are kind of a fucker because – at this time – it may be more of an age thing – rather than a mileage thing. From what I’ve gathered – original guides start failing between 150-200K.

Ultimately, in terms of owning/driving the car for years to come – the above established list is pretty solid. Otherwise, yeah, you could just drive it till it breaks – but then increased repair expenses and inconvenience are what one should strive to avoid.

Comment

This is kinda left-field – but it occurred to me that reinforcing the front subframe is another good preventative maintenance thing-to-do on m42 cars. Seems like they all crack/break on the passenger side.

I don’t think it’s so much power-related – lol – but more of a light weight/inertia thing.

Best analogy I can think of is with a shotgun. A heavy shotgun won’t seem to kick as much. A light weight shotgun will kick into your shoulder much more.

Comment

What kind of reinforcement? I'm also tackling a suspension overhaul at the moment by refreshing it and lowering it and then throwing on some wheels. So I certainly would like to prevent anything from happening.

Comment

Search function performs searches !

(this thread was pretty informative - and it's from 05)

Comment

Working...
                                X