• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eecen View Post
    Really?

My 318i didn't have AC...interesting.
    Did it have an m40 or m42?

Comment

I have always liked the idea of making cars lighter to improve performance. I got rid of the extras in the trunk and installed a lightweight battery. I think it's down around 80lbs now. You can definitely tell the car is more peppy now.

I am hoping to get the car down about 200lbs then change the rear diff to a 4.27 lsd, a lighter flywheel setup, and some top end motor work with tuning. It should go pretty nicely at that point.
      GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
        Did it have an m40 or m42?
        '91 318i, with an M42b18.

The engine is coming out of it in the next month or so, and we'd planned on doing a LW fly..might not need to now. We shall see when the trans gets separated I suppose.

Comment

^Huh, didn't realize Canada also received m42 318i's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
            ^Huh, didn't realize Canada also received m42 318i's.
            We had the all the same motor line up as the US crowd, with exception with options and packages.

Comment

Originally posted by grippymonkey View Post
              I have always liked the idea of making cars lighter to improve performance. I got rid of the extras in the trunk and installed a lightweight battery......

I am hoping to get the car down about 200lbs......
              I did the lightest battery I could find thing. It screwed my cross weights so i made a compromise. I got an oddessey. Still lighter than any euro battery and the OEM BMW that was in the car.
              Ditch the OE exausht and seats and you will lose a lot of weight.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

For people in australia, if you want a lighter flywheel, get the m40 one and the m40 clutch. Here we got e30s and e36s with m40 engines (1.8 single cam) and they have a single mass flywheel. I picked up one for $145 last week from a local BMW wrecker. The whole setup works out to be a few kilos lighter than the m20 setup and parts are really easy to come by, especially in eastern states.

So far i did the extractors back exhaust with a 100 cell cat, US e30 m3 LSD 8 bolt (4.10), k&n air filter and midnight performance chip from a guy on m42club. Had it on a dyno and it made 120rwhp! :) Flywheel and clutch will come in the next month and the mess under the intake will be sorted at the same time.

Visit m42club.com, heaps of info on there
                sigpic
                1991 BMW 318is Brilliantrot
                1998 Jeep Cherokee TD Black

Comment

Originally posted by grippymonkey View Post
                  I have always liked the idea of making cars lighter to improve performance. I got rid of the extras in the trunk and installed a lightweight battery. I think it's down around 80lbs now. You can definitely tell the car is more peppy now.

I am hoping to get the car down about 200lbs then change the rear diff to a 4.27 lsd, a lighter flywheel setup, and some top end motor work with tuning. It should go pretty nicely at that point.
                  Can I get details on the 4.27 LSD? Did those come in Euro models only?? I want one!

Comment

Originally posted by Goat00 View Post
                    Can I get details on the 4.27 LSD? Did those come in Euro models only?? I want one!
                    They come off e36 318 verts and 318is's i believe.

If you really want a trick LSD, you should look for a 4:45 off a 318ti

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post

Sweet... Just picked up an E30 318is.. The open diff isn't doing it for me, going to go all motor for now.

Thanks for the info, going to looking into it right now!

Comment

You can find the 4.27 off of 318 convertibles usually... most are not LSD from what I am getting. If a LSD one does pop up for sale it is usually a good bit of money, but definitely worth it. I know from experience that the 4.27 feels much better, but doesn't compromise fuel economy much at all. I was able to compare my stock 318is (4.10) to a stock vert 318i (4.27) and even with the vert being a heavier car it felt faster than my 318is. Also when comparing mileage from Sacramento to Los Angeles in both cars you didn't notice the difference. So I am guessing with a lighter 318is you definitely wouldn't notice a difference unless you were counting pennies.

I just got my 4.27 btw... need to put it in!
                        GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Chipped 4 pintle lucas injectors cop kit equals a pretty nice smooth r3ving m42 shit feels linear all the way thru 6500 rpms
                          Originally posted by bmwm42
                          PNW vulture pm me for parts
                          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post

I've got the 4.44LSD out of the 318ti auto. I love city driving with it. It's high in the RPMs on the freeway, but so was the 4.10.
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

DASC...not cheap though.
                              I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                              Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Coil On Plug kits. Cheaper than new wires, way cheaper than coils and wires, and replaces both. Plus it cleans up the engine bay. Depending on the age and condition you may need new wires regardless.

Check out our website at:

Full-Service German Auto Repair in Escondido CA Specializing in BMW Repair, Mercedes Repair, Audi Repair, VW Repair, & MINI Repair.

Comment

Working...
                                X