Building an M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an M42

I'd like to build an M42 stroker (kind of). Is there any downside of only increasing bore WITHOUT increasing stroke? I'm thinking of going slightly larger bore, cams, itb's and MSII. Also want to do single mass flywheel conversion. I'd be happy with 165-175 HP....to the crank. Is this reasonable? Anyone familiar with this sort of build? Any advice taken :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Waste of money. :)
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Why? :)

Comment

Brew is actually trying to motivate you. Thats just how us m42ers talk to each other......bitch.

:)

heres a link to boyracers thread on m42club

http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=6396.0

theres going to be more info over there for this type of build

Comment

Well a stroker is when you add stroke....

Anyway, yes there is a benefit to increasing displacement by only increasing the bore. It will increase horsepower and the engine will rev better.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Brew and I work together ;)

His solution is S50/52 swap. I want to do something different. The M42 is a capable engine so I'd like to see what it can do.

Comment

Sounds very expensive for the power gain. Doable though.

Increasing the bore enough may make it an over square engine and make it very revvy.
              1991 335is in progress

Comment

Originally posted by I8UR911 View Post
                Brew and I work together ;)

His solution is S50/52 swap. I want to do something different. The M42 is a capable engine so I'd like to see what it can do.

haha, i got it. i wasnt even sure if he had an m42 car. now im pretty positive he doesnt.

i say nay to s5x

Comment

itbs on an s52 will put a whole lot bigger smile on your face than itbs on an m42. Not knocking m42s my dad owns one and its a great motor--for its intended purpose; however when I drive it, I get the impression that her intended purpose is not horsepower or performance.

I think 160-170 crank is def possible at the crank for that motor but its going to cost nearly the price or even more than a proper s52 when you add in those itbs, aftermarket pistons, rings, bearings, machine work on the head and block, tuning your msII, and so forth. At the end of the day its really about what you want to do with the car and what your actually expecting out of it performance wise. Built m42 is badass for a 2002 but for an e30 I think you'll end up wanting more.

Comment

I have an M50 non banks with ZF trans from my old track car that I'm parting. I could easily "build" that A LITTLE and swap it to the 318....I'm just not sure that's what I'm after. I THINK I might want a higher revving M42....its different.

????

Comment

*non vanos

Comment

Different is good!
                        The dynamics of these cars is so good, a little enhancement would be sweet.

Comment

In case you've never seen it, there's some good info on the E30 Zone Wiki...

sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Not stroking dose not really have any down sides besides less power, but if you have the money a short stroke allows high HP which can make up for the lack in displacement.

I just dyno my car I would post a picture and video but my camera broke so there is nothing at the moment. But I pulled 93.5kw at the wheels which is about 125hp all I have done to my m42 is a chip, CIA and radius valve seats.

A good port job some wild cams and maybe a slight increase in compression with a bigger bore should see you easily make 175-180hp at the fly even 200hp at the fly. The M42 is not a bad engine just requires more attention to detail, planning and money to get power out of it.

If the engine was shit then why did they swap from a S14 to an S42 in the touring car E36? It is no M20 M50 S50 but it has its part and that part fits perfectly in my life.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking of starting off with cams and lightweight flywheel conversion (maybe MSII). I think this should make "OK" power. Then I'll work on getting itb's, etc.

I'm interested to see what kind of power can be made with the M42 and what the driving dynamics will be like with a light powerplant.

Comment

Working...
                              X